Happy Memorial Day to everyone. Please remember those who served and gave their lives for us.
- The host Windsor Spitfires won the Memorial Cup last night, beating the Erie Otters 4-3 [Sportsnet]. Josh Bailey was on hand for the game and the CHL alumni game beforehand and reflected (briefly) on his time in Windsor and his missing out on a Memorial Cup of his own [Windsor Star]. If you’re new here, this used to be a huge topic of discussion.
- Ray Pfeifer, a retired New York firefighter and lifelong Islanders fan who fought for September 11th first responders, lost his battle with cancer over the weekend. Rest in Peace. [Newsday]
- We’ve got a great FanPost by OneThirtyEight about how one Stan Fischler book created an Islanders fan in Michigan. Remember, you can win a $500 gift card to Fanatics by writing up your Why I’m a Fan Of... story in a Fanpost.
- Tonight’s Game 1 will have one Long Island connection - Nashville defenseman and Island Park native Anthony Bitetto. He’ll probably be a scratch tonight, but it’s cool nonetheless. [Newsday]
- Not long ago, the Predators and Penguins made a trade that impacted both clubs. [The Tennessean]
- The game comes on at 8 pm tonight on NBC. We’ll have a little more on the start of the Cup final later today.
- There was a new 30 Thoughts over the weekend that’s packed with curious goings on.
- Sounds like the US Naval Academy will be hosting an outdoor game between the Capitals and Leafs next March. [WaPo]
- Brooksie’s not a fan of the playoff structure or the Devils letting go of broadcaster Sherry Ross.
- PPP’s El Seldo was at the CHL alumni game and finally got to the bottom on Taylor Hall’s quest for a boating license. Matt Martin was also there.
- I’m going to see Alien: Covenant today, so it’s ironic that I came across two movie-centric hockey bits: SI.com uncovers a couple of forgotten hockey movies including one starring The Duke himself. | On a podcast for The Ringer, director Doug Liman tells us how the Swingers Sega Hockey scene came together. [Transcript]