Islanders Type Things
- The rumored ELC rumblings surrounding Linus Soderstrom finally came true: the Isles gave him the standard 3-year ELC. He most likely stays in Sweden for another season. [LHH | Islanders]
- On Wednesday night, Mathew Barzal had an assist in Seattle's 6-1 win in Game 4 to knot up the series at 2-2. Check out some highlights before Game 5 tonight in Seattle.
- Noel Fogelman discusses the signing in the Isles Buzz podcast this week.
- Thomas Greiss may or may not be playing through an upper body injury at the Worlds, in this article about Leon Draisaitl and Philipp Grubauer joining Team Germany.
- Jordan Eberle has been long-discussed as a trade candidate, so Elliotte Friedman lists off potential destinations, and spoiler alert: we're one of them. [FanRag Sports]
World War III, -ish
- Calvin de Haan and Team Canada remain perfect after a test from France and their goalie, Florian Hardy, Tom's athletic and French half-brother. [IIHF]
- In the most Avalanche thing to ever happen, their one good defenseman, Tyson Barrie, was injured wrestling a Team Canada teammate at the hotel and will be out the rest of the tournament. Are things going hysterically in Colorado, Barrie? Yes they are, other Barrie. Yes they are.
The War at Home
- It is time for the annual Capitals post-mortem, and friends, there are a lot of them this year. First up: five sad facts about the Caps Game 7 loss to the Penguins. [SBN]
- Were the Capitals simply unlucky, having dominated the run of play while losing the series? Or were they inefficient? [Sportsnet]
- And finally, we should all ignore the trolls that say it's time for Alex Ovechkin to be traded, and I agree - unless he wants to come here! [SBN]
- A less dramatic post-mortem, since their window didn't just slam shut, the Oilers had a fun ride. They'd be wise to contend with McDavid on his ELC, though, in my opinion. [C&B]
- Especially since they now have to figure out what to pay the aforementioned Leon Draisaitl after his stellar playoff run. [Sportsnet]
- It seems improbable, but here is how the Penguins could lose to the Senators in the conference finals. [SBN]
- Paul Kariya returns from his well-lit cave to cross of Win #9 in the Ducks playoff win countdown. [Anaheim Calling]
- Jason Botterill has officially been named GM of the Sabres, in his first chance at the top job. [Die by the Blade]
- A familiar pickle: where does the Coyotes tenuous arena situation go from here? [Five for Howling]
- Part 2 of HockeyStatMiner's Economics of Vegas Expansion. Didn't realize how complicated a process it is. [BSB]
- With two teams having relocated (the second team to the first team's original home), the AHL announced a new alignment for next season, though honestly I don't think anything changed - too lazy to actually check. Bridgeport stays in the Eastern Conference and Atlantic Division.