As the banner at the top so clearly told you, the Islanders’ season will end after today’s game against Ottawa. We have a entire summer to parse over the who, what, how and why, so for today, maybe just enjoy the game (or skip it entirely if it’s just going to make you mad).
FIG picks go here if you’re still into it. Game time is 5:00 pm.
- Recaps: LHH | Newsday | Islanders | NHL.com | NYI Skinny | AATJ
- Doug Weight respects the way Jason Chimera and Andrew Ladd righted their seasons after bad starts. [Newsday]
- Newsday picks just five of the many questions facing the Islanders this offseason.
- If there’s one phrase that sums up this season, it was "self-inflicted wounds." [LHH]
- Brooksie on the franchise at a crossroads.
- Look, ma. I made the Daily News! No, I didn’t write an article. I, uh, posted a screenshot of Rick DiPietro wearing a backwards Tim Tebow jersey.
- It was a bad weekend for the Sound Tigers, who got swept by Providence and need some help of their own to make the playoffs. [CT Post | Soundin' Off]
- Mitch Vande Sompel's goal couldn't help London beat Erie in Game 2 of their playoff series. [Knights]
- FYI: Linus Soderstrom and HV71 can advance to the SHL final today with a win over Malmo. They lead the series 3-1. No article to link to. Just take my word for it.
- Last night’s NHL scores. The only one that mattered you already know about. Thanks for nothing, Penguins.
- One writer wants the Panthers to get last year's band back together. [Sun-Sentinel]
- Congrats to Scott Mayfield’s buddies at Denver for winning their eighth NCAA championship, beating Minnesota-Duluth 3-2 last night. [SBN CH] | And Pioneers defenseman Will Butcher also gets to take home the Hobey Baker Award, which is not an easy thing for a defender to win. [SBN CH]
- Kings announcer Bob Miller wraps up a long, illustrious career with a dramatic OT win over Chicago. [SBN]
- Brian Bickell will officially retire, but not before his teammates joined him at a Multiple Sclerosis Society fundraiser. This is pretty emotional. Best of luck to Bickell and his family in his post-playing days. [SBN | Canes Country]
Check back in this space tomorrow for Doug Weight's final post-game press conference of the season. Should be a doozy.