With the Islanders in super-mega desperation mode, they fly down to Raleigh to battle this season's kryptonite, the Carolina Hurricanes. They've struggled against their new division rivals of late, but the sweet taste of playoff hockey might give them a boost. Though a win won't be enough.
Stories from the Brink
- Most important story: former Islander and Buffalo Sabres forward Kyle Okposo has been hospitalized and is in neurological intensive care. Our thoughts are with he and his family. [Buffalo News | Die by the Blade]
- Jaroslav Halak proves he belongs in the NHL after his stint in the minors. [Newsday]
- Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts contains some information regarding John Tavares, Ilya Sorokin, and the supposed connection between the Islanders and Dale Tallon, the latter of which Dan expounds upon here. [LHH]
- Isles' play-by-play fellow Brendan Burke calls into the Point Blank Podcast. [SNY]
- Shannon has some notes from the road on the Isles staying alive in this edition Hogan's Highlights. [MSG]
- Devon Toews has made the AHL all-rookie team. Congrats to him - eager to see if he pans out at the NHL level. [CT Post | Sound Tigers] The Sound Tigers
also sit 5 points out of a playoff spot currently,are currently in a playoff spot, and Sports Club Stats has them as a near-lock. [Soundin' Off]
News from the Beyond
- Last night's NHL scores. Only two games last night, and neither of them had any consequence on the Isles.
- In the opinion of Marc Savard, whose career was ruined by a concussion, the NHL needs to be tougher on head shots. [TSN]
- Donald Fehr declares the players won't forget the NHL's 'shortsighted' Olympic rejection. Lockout here we come! (Though I probably agree with Fehr.) [Sportsnet]
- Kris Letang is gonna be out 4-6 months with a herniated disk in his neck that requires surgery. Huge blow for the Penguins going into the playoffs. [Pensburgh]
- Goaltending has made the Winnipeg Jets season turn out poorly, again. [Sportsnet]
- Auston Matthews and the other Maple Leafs rookies may be turning out historically good seasons, but the team has taken extra steps to ensure that they don't have to deal with the media circus. Smart play.