The Islanders have stumbled badly over the last few games and enter the final week of the season a handful of points out of the playoffs. With that in mind, Mike and Dan talk about the team's slim hopes and the devastating injury to captain John Tavares that could derail literally everything including the franchise's future. They also discuss the role of Islanders management moving forward, Mike critiques the "new" Nassau Coliseum and Dan tells his sad tale of meeting Tavares and completely freezing up in the great man's presence.
Thanks again to Stonehand CO for the very kind iTunes review and sticking with the Islanders and NHL all these years.
Works referenced in this episode:
- This tweet from Mike B:
At three separate times this season the #Isles managed to claw themselves into the second Wild Card spot, and didn't win once in that spot.— Mike B (@nightflyblog) March 31, 2017
- Jenny’s recap of Sunday’s win over Buffalo.
- Doug Weight on eating nails at crunch time in the NY Post.
- Arthur Staple on the team’s contract offer to Tavares, which is also in our John Tavares contract encyclopedia.
- Neil Best’s article on sports and social media in Newsday.
- Newsday’s Robert Brodsky on the renovated Coliseum’s striking resemblance to Barclays Center.
You can find Islanders Anxiety on iTunes, Stitcher Radio, SoundCloud and pretty much any podcasting app out there. Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word as best you can. All of it helps to raise the show's profile and maybe could get us a fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, leave us message on Sound Cloud, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme Song: "Sports" by Josh Spacek, available at the FreeMusicArchive.org.