Welcome to the NHL Lottery, a day we were hoping to not see around here for a while. The drawing is today and the winner will be revealed tonight at 8 pm on NBCSN. But with the Islanders having a 0.9 percent chance of winning, you would be forgiven for skipping it.
In the meantime...
- Thomas Greiss and Dennis Seidenberg will wear the black, gold and red of their native Germany in the World Championships. DON’T GET HURT. [LHH]
- More on the newest Islanders affiliate, the ECHL’s Worcester Railers. [Dom on the shorter, more covenient pipeline | 210 Sports on the history between the Isles and Worcester | Islanders | Check out the sweet practice rink they’re building]
- Comparing the underlying stats between Jack Capuano and Doug Weight. A little better across the board as expected. [Eyes on Isles]
- Okay, so, maybe there’s a chance the Islanders can make some hay out of their low lottery odds. [Vegas Review Journal]
- Islanders Photos of the Year Gallery. Some really nice looks in here.
- Mathew Barzal and the Thunderbirds are one win away from the WHL finals after a 5-3 win over Kelowna in Game 5. Barzal had three assists and a little pushy-pushy incident. Game 6 is Sunday. [My Northwest]
- Game 7 of the SHL final is today. Let’s hope Linus Soderstrom is ready.
Around the League
- Last night’s NHL scores. Vladimir Tarasenko scored twice and the Blues handed Nashville its first loss of the post-season. And the Oilers are up 2-0 after another win in Anaheim.
- Game Two between the Rangers and Senators is today at 3 pm. Ottawa is matching their opponents line-for-line. [FanRag]
- The light attendance in Ottawa for Game 1 is a complicated issue [TSN.ca] and this article, by our brethren at Canes Country is a wonderful, thorough,and enjoyable Fire Joe Morgan-style evisceration of a ludicrous article by the Ottawa Citizen and a must for any bullshit attendance panic coming from up North for years to come. Read it.
- Tonight’s lottery is all about Nolan versus Nico, according to Bob McKenzie and TSN.
- Ron Francis pulled a move from Garth Snow’s playbook and traded for a UFA goalie before the holiday shopping rush. The Hurricanes acquired Blackhawks goalie Scott Darling for a third round pick and if he signs, he could be a huge help to them. But, in another move out of the Snow playbook, they already have two goalies under contract for next season. So... [Canes Country | Sun-Times]
- Mike Milbury Is A Dope, Vol. 7,864 starring P.K. Subban as a “the clown.” Okay, Mike. [SBN]
- Maybe Mike should read Katie Baker’s long profile on Subban and his Busting Out of Montreal Party. If you’re not on the P.K. Train by now, I can’t help you. [The Ringer]
- One fan’s letter writing campaign to NHL teams regarding domestic violence has made a huge difference. [Puck Daddy | Full Disclosure: I wrote a letter to the Islanders as part of Melissa’s initiative last year but as far as I know, they have not responded.]
- The Coyotes cleaned out some assistant and minor league coaches and scouts. [FFH]
- Down Goes Brown’s Grab Bag has more on those sad, sad Avalanche tweets.
- So, like, why are we having a combination expansion draft and awards show? Because NHL. [Puck Daddy]
- Matthew Tkachuk is a pain in the ass. In a good way, for the Flames. [The YouTubes]