The Islanders begin the final week of their season on the road for four games, a handful of points out of a playoff berth and without their captain and three other regulars. Other than that, they’re in great shape.
FIG picks for today’s game in Buffalo can go here. Game time is 3 pm. No Kyle Okposo today so don't bother with any snarky first goal picks for him.
- The diagnosis is "weeks" for John Tavares’ recovery from a lower body injury, believed to be to his hamstring. In any event, he’s out for the rest of the season. [LHH | Newsday on many of the details | NY Post on the ice]
- Welcome Connor Jones to the NHL, as he gets the call-up with Tavares out. No, he's not going to replace the irreplaceable. [LHH]
- Maybe it should have been Tanner Fritz, who's been a consistent presence since signing a low-key deal with the Islanders last season. [LHH]
- Newsday's Neil Best writes about the connection between social media and sports and quotes very smart man John Tavares who says maybe we should all just shut the hell up sometimes instead of being on Twitter all the time.
- The Daily News suddenly remembers the Islanders exist, just to write about Josh Ho-Sang, the most interesting man in hockey.
- The Sound Tigers won a huge game in Hershey on Saturday, moving back into a playoff spot. [CT Post]
- Fun Facts about the "new" Nassau Coliseum include tributes, amenities, and what's the deal with that aluminum foil outer shell. [Newsday]
Around the NHL
- Last night's NHL scores. The Bruins and Leafs aren't exactly making things easy. Winning games that count? Imagine that.
- Man, this was scary. Michal Neuvirth just collapsed during the Flyers-Devils game and had to be stretchered off the ice. He's okay, fortunately. And he got to share a shutout with rookie Anthony Stolarz. [BSH]
- Sadly, the refs denied everyoe a chance to see an emergency goalie get in that game, too. [Puck Daddy]
- Flames president Ken King threatens a move if the team doesn't get a new arena (mainly on the public dime). Good luck with that, Kenny. [CBC.ca]
- Brooksie gets purple on Patrik Elias' Devils immortality.