Welcome to the first day of the 2017 NHL Playoffs. Games start tonight at 7 with Rangers-Habs and Bruins-Senators. Then it’s Penguins-Blue Jackets and, at 10:30, Sharks-Oilers, which will be called by our friend Brendan Burke. Buckle up.
However, SOME TEAMS, won’t be participating. But there’s plenty going on with them, too. And we’ll have a hot, fresh Islanders Anxiety episode coming up today.
- Arthur Staple runs down the many, many questions facing the owners and sheds some light on some inner goings on with the front office, including more or less confirming an ongoing rumor about Garth Snow's contract. [Newsday]
- So we're back to this again, huh? Sigh. Anyway, here are the lottery odds. Don't expect the Islanders to win it. [LHH]
- The new guys talk to the official site about their first year as Islanders.
- Shannon Hogan blogs about her Islanders highlights from a down season. [MSG Networks]
- The Sound Tigers still need points in their playoff chase and they get two new additions - Cornell's Jeff Kubiak, who signed an ATO [BST | Cornell] and some guy named Joshua Ho-Sang, who is back from the Islanders with a new perspective. [CT Post]. And more notes from Soundin' Off.
- Oh baby. Mathew Barzal had another outstanding playoff performance against Everett last night, tying the game at 4 in the third period, then scoring the winner 1:30 into overtime. Seattle leads the series 3-0. [My Northwest | T-Birds video]
- And how about this quote on Barzal: "He likes the puck on his stick in big games," Seattle head coach Steve Konowalchuk said. "We've seen it at every level he goes to. I remember when he was 16 and he scored a big playoff goal. He wants to be out there for those moments and he's good enough to make something happen."
Around the NHL
- Previewing the Eastern Conference playoffs with the Hockey PDOCast and Down Goes Brown. And Sportsnet looks at the numbers and share their brackets. HockeyViz says the Capitals have the edge. What could go wrong?
- A bunch of Canadian teams in the playoffs means some challenges for NBCSN. [Newsday]
- Dean Lombardi is still fired by the Kings, but a bunch of his now ex-players stopped by his house to say goodbye. [JFTC]
- So, like, what happened to the Panthers this season? Don't blame the analytics guys. [Puck Daddy]
- It’s World Championships time for the non-playoff teams. Detroit’s Jeff Blashill will coach Team USA [WIIM] and Tampa’s Jon Cooper will lead Canada [TB Times]
- Uh oh. Looks like Hobey Baker winner Will Butcher is going to NCAA loophole the Avalanche. [Denver Post]
- Will Leitch talks to Red Wings fans outside of the final game at Joe Louis Arena. [Sports on Earth]
- The Stanley Cup took a ride on a Metro North train from Grand Central to Stamford, CT. I hope it didn’t get stuck in the middle seat. [Newsday]
- The NWHL is already getting prepped for its third season. [The Ice Garden]
- The Wiz is looking for another NHL job. [Trentonian]