Folks, I just wanted to echo the sentiments of Dom from yesterday and thank you all for reading my words. It was a fun first season writing at LHH, and while I wish there was more Islanders hockey this season, I'm glad we were at least in it until the end (almost). I'm also glad we all got to share it together. Thank you folks.
Welcome to the offseason.
- Recaps from yesterday's finale: LHH | Newsday | Islanders | NHL.com | NY Post on the game and questions about the future | Silver Seven Sens
- Doug Weight hopes to remain with the organization in some capacity. [NHL.com]
- He also discusses how he's beyond disappointed with the way things turned out. [MSG]
- In lighter news, Anders Lee was named the 2017 recipient of the Bob Nystrom Award. [Islanders]
- Three goals in 2:01 gave the Sound Tigers the victory over the Hartford Wolf Pack and kept them in the playoff race. [CT Post | Soundin' Off]
- Linus Soderstrom and HV71 are headed to the SHL finals. [SHL.se]
News from Beyond the Isle
- Last night's NHL scores. The Ducks got at least a point to clinch their division and a matchup with the Flames, while the Oilers will host the Sharks. Meanwhile, the Maple Leafs lost in regulation (*sigh* sooo close) which slots them in the wild card 2 spot to take on the Capitals, leaving the Senators with the Bruins. No Battle of Alberta or Battle of Ontario this year, sadly.
- Lindy Ruff's contract with the Stars expired and they will not be renewing it. Another coach on the market. [Defending Big D]
- It's been 20 years, and losing the Whalers hasn't gotten any easier. [Hartford Courant]
- And finally, much like we said farewell to our old barn a couple years ago, Red Wings fans have done the same - by throwing 35 octopuses (apparently 'octopi' has no etymological basis?) on the Joe Louis Arena ice. The JLA was "beautiful in its simplicity." Which is very often a nice way of saying the building was old and crappy but they had a lot of fun at it. [NHL.com]