Win good. Tavares injury bad. Nine power plays good. One goal on the power play bad. Other teams idle good (for now). Afternoon game tomorrow bad.
While we await further word on John Tavares’ injury, enjoy these links. Or come back tomorrow at 3 pm for the game against Buffalo.
- Recaps: LHH | Newsday | NY Post | NHL.com | NYI Skinny | AATJ
- Tavares injury is of paramount importance but Casey Cizikas and Travis Hamonic are also out and will miss the rest of the season (as will Ryan Strome, obviously). [Newsday]
- The Sound Tigers beat Lehigh Valley 3-1 to get within a point of the playoffs. Michael Dal Colle had a goal and an assist in what may have been his best game as a pro. And Jake Bischoff scored in his first game as a pro. [CT Post | Soundin' Off]
- David Quenneville is part of a deep Medicine Hat Tigers club. [Medicine Hat News]
- 29 years ago today, Mike Bossy became the first rookie to score 50 goals in a season. [NHL.com]
- Yes, the renovated Nassau Coliseum is open. But the politically-tinged drama is already taking a front seat. [Newsday]
- Our pal Kate Frese took some cool shots from the game against the Flyers on Thursday. [BSH]
- Folk hero Steve Webb talks to rock station the 94.3 Shark.
- Great news: Gino Odjick says his terminal disease is in remission. [Puck Daddy]
- Last night's NHL scores. The Coyotes hung how many on the Caps?
- The man of the hour yesterday was 20-year Devil Patrik Elias, who announced his retirement. He sat out this year, but is the Devils all time leader in every statistical category and was a member of two of the club's three Stanley Cup championships. Easily one of, if not THE, most underrated player of his era. With all due respect to every other underrated player, none of them got less pub than Elias, who just never stopped. The Devils will retire his number next season. Congrats, man. [AATJ on the announcement | And his impact on the Devils]
- Hey how's Kevin Shattenkirk working out for Washington? Good, it turns out. [Japers]
- The Flames are gaining steam. Beware of fires. [Puck Daddy]
- After their own disappointing season, would the Kings really fire Darryl Sutter? [JFTC]
- The Flyers signed Hobey Baker finalist Mike Vecchione to an ELC. [SBN CH]
- NHL.com says USHL center Casey Middlestadt compares closely to John Tavares. Good luck with that, kid.
- The IIHF Women's World Championship is underway and here are some players to watch for from around the world. [Ice Garden]
- Players are asked about the craziest things they've ever heard from fans. Here are the ones they could print. Adjust your expectations accordingly. [ESPN]