Sure, they were a step behind all game and lost the lead with less than a minute to go before losing in a shootout. But the they got coupled with the Maple Leafs 5-2 loss in Anaheim has the Islanders one point ahead of Toronto for the final playoff berth in the East.
Lots of other teams of note are in action tonight and the Islanders face their mortal enemy - the dreaded road matinee game - tomorrow. Have a relaxing Saturday.
- Recaps: LHH | Newsday | NHL.com | NYI Skinny | SCH. Geez, 11-1-0 in the last month? Take that point and run.
- Travis Hamonic was back, in case you didn't know. [Newsday]
- I was wary of Thomas Greiss starting back-to-back games, but he was great last night. [Newsday]
- In which Garth Snow heckles Darren Dreger at work like Jerry Seinfeld harassing Kramer's girlfriend at her job. I hope Dreger still has both of his pinky toes. [FanRag Sports]
- Down Goes Brown also highlights Snow during his wild playing days. [Vice Sports]
- Sick of Josh Ho-Sang uniform number hot takes? Well there are a whoooooooooole mess of them out there. This one from Puck Daddy kinda sums them all up.
- And here's a silly one from Stanley Cup of Chowder.
- There's a new Islanders-only stats site out for your perusing pleasure: CorsIsles.
- An Islanders fan all the way from Malta tells her story. [Eyes on Isles]
- Sound Tigers notes from Michael Fornabaio. They're in Rochester tonight.
- Mathew Barzal had a point and assist in Seattle's 3-2 win over Tri-City. [T-Birds]
- Long Island Business News knows better than to expect Long Island to build a new arena. Or a new anything, for that matter. [LIBN.com]
- Last night's NHL scores. Who scored the winner for the Penguins in his first game with the team? Old pal Mark Streit. [NHL.com]
- Pro Tip: DO NOT get in the way of a Johnny Boychuk slapshot. Antoine Roussel will miss the rest of the season thanks to an injury sustained from the line of fire. [NHL.com]
- With Roberto Luongo hurt, it's up to James Reimer to keep the Panthers' playoff hopes alive. [Miami Herald]
- Is Steve Mason on his way out of Philadelphia? [BSH]
- Hurricanes coach Bill Peters has had it up to here with his lousy goalies. Or, at least, one lousy goalie. Because he went scorched earth on Eddie Lack, but didn't say much about Cam Ward's dubious season. [N&O | SBN | NHL.com video]
- Imagine having Alex Ovechkin make and deliver your pizza. That would be cool. I have so much respect for Ovechkin that I would even eat a Papa John's pizza from him. [NHL.com]
Babysitter doesn't do sports. So we're 1 for 2. Haha... pic.twitter.com/cv5RTOBxRL— Tarik El-Bashir (@TarikCSN) March 3, 2017