Last night was not a good one for the Islanders. No, they didn’t play and you didn’t miss a game. But every team around them in the playoff chase won (except idle Tampa Bay) and made their final seven games that much harder.
If it sounds like I’m hedging my bets so I don’t look like a fool ass hot taek artist in a few weeks, it’s because I am. But man it’s looking bleak right now.
Have a good Wednesday.
- Doug Weight asks the same thing we do: why can't this team start games better? The difference is, he called them out on it to their faces. [Newsday]
- Josh Ho-Sang talks to Brett Cyrgalis about his "crazy" year and what his AHL trial taught him about being an NHLer.
- The Point Blank Podcast body switching is complete, with Brian angry about anemic losses and Ryan Pulock's exile and Mike still keeping hope alive.
- Meanwhile, Pulock patiently waits his turn while time is running short for both the Islanders and Sound Tigers. [CT Post]
- Stamkos and Tavares: the fiercest rivalry between two friendly, quiet guys in hockey history. [Raw Charge]
- Elliotte Friedman and Darren Dreger talked Tavares on Monday (but not together). Friedman mentioned him in 30 Thoughts in between a ton of NCAA stuff and Las Vegas stuff. Dreger says Tavares wants this shit over with ASAP. [Fan Rag with the transcriptions | The updated Tavares Encyclopedia]
- NCAA and Minnesota guy Jake Bischoff is on board with a two-year ELC. [LHH | SBN CH]
- Bischoff, John Stevens and another new recruit - Matthew "Johnny's brother" Gaudreau [NHL.com] - are off to Bridgeport which means line shuffling. [Soundin' Off]
- Congrats to Shannon Hogan and her fiance on their engagement. They met at an Islanders game. See, good things can happen there. [MSG Networks]
- A documentary about the Brooklyn Americans premieres at the Brooklyn Historical Society on April 3rd with special guest Stan Fischler. Register here.
Around the NHL
- Last night's NHL scores. Don't look. You'll just get mad.
- Clinchings: The Oilers are in for the first time since 2006, and the Red Wings are out for the first time since 1992. [SBN | WIIM on a new shitty frontier | C&B rejoices]
- USA Hockey and the women's team settled their differences, although the actual money portion is being kept private. The team will report to practice today to prep for this week's World Championships, and programs will be put into place to better support the current players and develop more new ones in the future. [The Ice Garden]
- Teemu Selanne says his old running mate Paul Kariya has some bitter feelings about hockey and the NHL. [PHT]
- Check out ESPN's mock drafts for the Golden Knights. The Islanders look to lose... somebody.
- The Golden Knights were the only game in Vegas for about five minutes until the Raiders decided to move there. But the NHL isn't sweating it. [Sportsnet]
- This though... they should sweat. TSN's Rick Westhead uncovers documents alleging the league looked the other way on concussions despite being told otherwise.
- Sounds like Andrej Nestrasil isn't a fan of the Hurricanes, his current employer. [Canes Country]
Team picture day in time lapse via Bruce Bennett, whose been taking Islanders team pictures forever.