The New York Islanders picked up two big points in Pittsburgh last night, but the two points on the table tonight are even bigger — and of course, tonight it’s all the more important that they get them in regulation rather than concede any charity to the Boston Bruins.
First Islanders Goal picks go here.
So much from last night, from the foul goalie interference call on Alan Quine that overturned a goal (and elicited a great mid-game rant, partially captured here, by Doug Weight) to Joshua Ho-Sang’s continued electricity and...oh yeah, how about that goalie?
“Jaro’s attitude has been amazing. He did a great job tonight battling for us and it was a big character win for him. I’m proud of him.” pic.twitter.com/VMHBDvukQK— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) March 25, 2017
- Halak himself: “To win a game is always great, but it’s more special right now. I’m happy I’m back & I’m just going to try & help the guys win games.” [@NYIslanders]
- About last night: Steve on the nail-biter [LHH] Staple on that 21-shot third-period barrage, Weight on the overturned goal. [Newsday] Playing on a back-to-back, the Pens were happy to salvage the point. [Post-Gazette | PensBurgh]
- More: Highlights and quotes [NHL] Pictures! [Isles] Video with Brendan and Butch on the win. [MSG] Casey Cizikas and the gang on a character win. [Isles]
- On the injury front, Weight didn’t think Nikolay Kulemin’s injury was serious, expected him to be available for tonight. [@StapeNewsday]
- Good news for health and playoffs: Ryan Strome’s broken wrist doesn’t require surgery. Call it three to six weeks. [Newsday]
- From the Pittsburgh view, ex-Penguin Thomas Greiss is enjoying life on the Island, Joshua Ho-Sang on #66 (again), and Doug Weight is cool. [Post-Gazette notes]
- Attention, Charlotte-are fans: A crew is planning another meetup for tonight’s game. Details in this Facebook event.
- In Bridgeport, the return of Tim Wallace. [Soundin’ Off]
Elsewhere in the Wild Card and Beyond
- With four losses in a row and now caught by the Islanders, the Bruins no longer have any margin for error. [SCOC]
- Not helping the Isles’ nor Bruins: The Lightning won again, in overtime against the Red Wings. Kucherov, of course. [Raw Charge | WIIM]
- Henrik Lundqvist is returning and will start Sunday. [Post]
- As Dan phrased this on Twitter: “Dumb ass company invests in NHL Guardian Project months after it flops, sues & wins $500,000 award 5 years later.” [Variety | Onion AV Club]
Alright, clear your schedule. Big game tonight!