Another day off for the Islanders means another day of watching games and trades. The team will be heading to Dallas today to be on the ground for tomorrow’s deadline. Smart.
How smart the guys in charge of making the trades are remains to be seen.
- After a day off following their blowout loss on Saturday, Doug Weight bag skated his players super hard. But it was a fun bag skate! Also, Travis Hamonic is scratching at the door like an animal to get back out on the ice. [LHH | Newsday video of said skate]
- Hamonic, Cal Clutterbuck and
Casey CizikasShane Prince are all close to returning for reals. I think this might be Arthur Staple's subtle way of preparing us for a quiet deadline. [Newsday]
- On John Tavares and his expanding PK role. [CP]
- The Point Blank Podcast guys on the wins, losses, arena stuff and the Islanders going all in this deadline. I respectfully disagree on their stance on Mathew Barzal.
- Heckuva start for Ilya Sorokin in the KHL playoffs. CSKA Moscow sweeps Jokerit and Sorokin pitches a shutout in clincher. He gave up six goals in the four games, three of which went to OT. [Islanders]
- Here are the local food options that will be setting up shop in the renovated Nassau Coliseum. [Newsday]
- Breaking: Islanders acquire... Duquesne? [Fan Post Zeitgeist]
Trades N' More
- Last night's NHL scores. The Wild and Kings played a crazy one and the Habs came back to beat the Devils in OT.
- The BIG news from last night that you already know: the Capitals swooped in and traded some picks and a prospect for Kevin Shattenkirk. It's now or never for Washington. Good luck with that. [Japers] The deal is a complicated one that has more conditions than your income tax return. [SBN]
- Brian Boyle goes from Tampa to Toronto which means his Dread Pirate Roberts facial hair is going bye-bye. [PPP]
- The Senators acquired old agitator Alexandre Burrows from Vancouver and signed him to a two-year contract, giving up a prized prospect for the 35-year old. Silver Seven is not happy.
- Dallas traded one of its Benn brothers. No, the other one. [DBD]
- Remember that our SBN friends are grading all the trades as they happen. Keep checking back today and tomorrow.
- "Thomas Vanek in Trade Deadline Limbo." Hm. Sounds familiar. [NHL.com]
- Apparently, it's going to take more than garbage to acquire Jordan Eberle from the Oilers. Good to know. [C&B]
- Boyle and Ben Bishop may be gone but Steven Stamkos might still return from his knee injury this season for the Lightning. [NHL.com]
- More mumps? C'mon. [SBN]
- The commish has heard the complaints about the bye weeks and changes might be coming. [Sportsnet]
- A player for Erie Community College came off the bench to attack a ref during a title game and is in a heeeeeeeeeeeap of trouble. [SBN]
Oh, and hey: check out this video that SBN made about the Islanders at the deadline. Original screenplay by Dominik. Music by John Legend.