The New York Islanders are two games (and two wins) into a nine-game road trip, but it’s really two trips interrupted by a four-day break that encompasses the trade deadline.
Tonight is the end of leg one, in Columbus. Thursday’s 3-0 win in Montreal was darn near an ideal effort, so we’ll see what they can sustain tonight against the Blue Jackets, who hold the other wild card spot but are, heh, 11 points ahead of the Isles with two games in hand.
Leave your First Islanders Goal picks for tonight here. Remember that it’s a 5 p.m. EST start.
- Your big news of the offday and latest in an incessant series: Isles, Mets, even MSG in talks to build an arena at Belmont. [Bloomberg | Newsday]
- We're tired of the non-stop drip of arena speculation, though this one...might have legs. [LHH]
- You know what? That Tavares-Bailey-Lee line has been kind of good, and kind of important. "playing like a bunch of Selke Trophyists," is one way to put it. [Newsday]
- You know what else? That Doug Weight (the guy who put it that way) seems like an alright coach, too. (Actually some great quotes in there, as you should now expect from Weight) [USA Today]
- Jaroslav Halak and the Sound Tigers' winning streak ended in Providence, so fire everyone. (Wait, wrong script?) [CT Post | Soundin' Off]
- The Isles' wild ride has done some wild things to their spot in our power rankings, too. [LHH]
The Rest of This Place
- We have a trade to announce...: The Stars' Patrick Eaves to the Ducks for a conditional 2nd. [Defending Big D]
- And another: Tomas Jurco to the Blackhawks for a 3rd. [WIIM | NHL]
- Some names to target or avoid and why at the trade deadline. [THN]
- That Czech Michal Neuvirth is expecting with that Czech Radko Gudas' sister. Uncle Radko will surely try to spear or maim in the delivery room. [BSH]
- Not good: Canucks report a mumps diagnosis. (Aside: Vaccinate, people!) [NHL]
- How a former pro got a bit in Slap Shot after chilling with Paul Newman. [Vice]