Okay, so, test failed. Once again, the good news is another game is a day away.
But A. those opportunities won’t be around forever; B. The Rangers are always a tough out; and C. you wonder how huge last night’s loss is going to be if the dust settles with the Islanders just a few points short of the finish line.
- Recaps: LHH | Newsday on the "humbling rout" | Islanders | NHL.com | NYI Skinny | PPP
- Claude Julien is off the market. See below. Also, Casey Cizikas and Matt Martin are still bros and Shane Prince is day-to-day. [Newsday]
- Ken Campbell does the John Tavares contract thing, but says the longterm relationship just might work out for everybody. [The Hockey News | We've updated our archive with this and one other less complimentary take]
- Tavares isn't the only Islander from the Toronto area. It's like a family reunion every time they play up there. [Shannon Hogan]
- Heads-up: Anders Lee and Ryan Strome might make good pick-ups for your fantasy team. But you knew that already. [Dobber]
- Ryan Pulock is firing (literally) on all cylinders right now. [CT Post | Further Sound Tigers notes from Michael Fornabaio]
- Even though he's back up with Bridgeport now, Eamon McAdam is the ECHL goalie of the month, joining Pulock, Mathew Barzal and Carter Verhaeghe as Islanders prospects to be honored by their respective leagues in the last few days.
- Last night's NHL scores. As if it matters.
- Yesterday afternoon, the struggling Canadiens did the thing, firing Michel Therrien and scooping up Claude Julien from their division rival. Astute observers will recognize that Montreal did that exact coaching switch about 10 years ago. That's weird. [EOTP | Julien should have an immediate impact]
- Dude, what was Antoine Vermette thinking hitting a linesman like this? [SBN]
- Friedman's 30 Thoughts has news on former Islander Rob DiMaio and some trade scuttlebutt. [Sportsnet]
- GMs have lots of ways to avoid making trades. [Down Goes Brown]
- Is there a secret to protecting a third period lead? No, but playing like the Leafs did last night sure helps. [Hockey Graphs]
- Johnny Gaudreau on the fourth line? Sounds, sub-optimal. [Calgary Sun]
- Trivia Time: What current Islander is on the team as a result of the 1996 trade that sent Wendel Clark to the Leafs? This big tree has deep, deep roots. [Sportsnet]
- Best news you'll hear today: Dave Strader, still fighting cancer, will re-team with Darryl Reaugh to call the Stars upcoming five-game homestand. Be well, Dave. [Stars]