Good morning, class. Today we'll be discussing the Islanders 5-1 victory over the Colorado Avalanche last night at Barclays Center. It was a good game to both watch and attend. We'll also discuss other things. Mostly hockey-related, I'd assume!
The Islanders will be in Toronto to play the Maple Leafs at Air Canada Centre at 7:30 p.m. on MSG+ tomorrow night. It will also be Valentine's Day, and I'd heart the Islanders if they could win that game in regulation.
- Recaps: LHH | Newsday | Islanders | NHL.com | NY Post | Mile High Hockey
- Yesterday's contest saw Stephen Gionta return to the lineup in place of Alan Quine, who was a healthy scratch for the first time in two months. [Newsday]
- Fun fact from Eric Hornick's Skinny: The Isles improve to 21-2-3 at home against Western Conference teams at Barclays Center, including 9-2-1 this season.
- Carter Verhaeghe had two goals as the Sound Tigers remained red hot, winning their 12th of their last 13. [CT Post | Soundin' Off]
- Our very own Dan Saraceni stopped by the Hockey Night in New York radio show/live podcast to discuss some of the on-ice issues and how Doug Weight has done (Dan's part starts around 46:30). Randi Marshall of Newsday was also there earlier in the show to discuss some areener issues.
- Last night's NHL scores. The Bruins won, but the Sabres, Devils, and Red Wings all lost.
- Among them (but not relevant to our playoff hopes): the Stars and Predators started the game off in a brawl, having 6 total players in the penalty boxes less than a minute in. The Stars went up 3-0 and were up 3-1 going into the third, before Nashville came all the way back. Dallas has sad. [Defending Big D]
- Before that game started, the two teams' Twitter accounts had some fun with each other and with the NBA's mandate that team Twitter accounts be nicer to each other. [SB Nation]
- Your Weekly Metro Division Snapshot, brought to you by All About the Jersey.
- Meet the Chinese billionaire who wants to grow hockey in the world's biggest market. [Ken Campbell's Blog]
- And finally, BSHer katefrese is back with another photo gallery, this one between the Flyers and the Sharks, who played Saturday afternoon. Cool stuff! [Broad Street Hockey]