Yesterday’s game result was... suboptimal. The good news for the Islanders is they get a chance right away to get some points back. Let’s hope this meeting against the Avalanche goes better than the last one.
FIG picks go here. Game time is 6 pm.
- Recaps: LHH | Newsday | NHL.com | NYI Skinny | Silver Seven
- Alan Quine's first game in Ottawa could have gone better. [Newsday]
- But holy crap! Mathew Barzal had six points in Seattle's 8-5 win over Portland last night, scoring once and adding five assists. Gifs are below. It's been a ridiculous weekend already for the kid (who apparently was named captain upon his return? I missed that.). On Friday, Seattle beat the Tri-City Americans 6-2, with Barzal netting three assists for Seattle and Parker Wotherspoon scoring again for Tri-City. [My Northwest | Tri-City Herald]
- Everything's coming up Sound Tigers right now, too. Jaroslav Halak has won nine games in a row, Michael Dal Colle scored twice, including the shootout winner and Carter Verheaghe had two points in his return from Missouri as Bridgeport beat Providence 5-4. [CT Post | Soundin' Off]
- Eamon McAdam earned his first pro shutout with 53 saves in the Missouri Mavericks win on Friday. [Mavs]
- Stan Fischler's Metro Notebook includes a story about the time Emil Francis thought Rod Gilbert had died. Trust me, it's funny.
- Last night's NHL scores.
- It's 400 wins and counting for Henrik Lundqvist. Congrats to him. I guess... [BSB]
- With Craig Anderson back in game shape (yeah, tell me about it), the Senators placed Andrew "Hamburglar" Hammond on waivers. What happened? [Ottawa Citizen]
- More remembrances of Mike Ilitch. [NHL.com | Kyle at WIIM]
- Brittany Miller and Theresa Feaster are blazing a trail as full time staff members for NCAA Division I men's hockey programs Boston College and Providence. [NY Times]
Here's Barzal's first assist, picking up from Auston Strand's steal to feed Tyler Adams for his first goal as a T-Bird.
Here's Barzal's goal, which he tipped in on a feed from Ryan Gropp.
Finally, here's a tape-to-tape cross-ice pass in motion from Barzal to Ethan Bear for a power play goal in the third period.