That was a heckuva win on many levels. Too bad the Bruins won, too. So the Islanders are still two points back of the playoffs with four games in hand on Boston.
And now, it’s off to Ottawa for an afternoon road game. Goddamnit. Time to reach down for more.
- Recaps: LHH | Newsday | Islanders | NHL.com | NYI Skinny. The Islanders' first period goal now belongs to Anders Lee after a post-game scoring change. | BSH on the inadequacies of the Domino's Pizza app. And the game, too, I guess.
- By the way, check out some sweet, vivid photos from last night in this gallery from photographer Kate Freze [LHH].
- Ottawa guy Alan Quine is getting ready for his first NHL game in his hometown on Saturday. [Newsday]
- The only things Lee loves chewing on more than his mouth guards are the buffalo wings at Bunny's in Edina, MN. He was also a knife salesman for a while. [NHLPA]
- The Sound Tigers are about to become very familiar with the Bruins and Bears. [CT Post | More BST notes via Soundin' Off]
- A $10 charity raffle ticket got a father and son a VIP trip to an Islanders game, a tour of Barclays and Northwell Health, lunch with Lee and some hockey tips from John Tavares among other treats. That's pretty awesome. [Cape Breton Post]
Around the NHL
- Last night's NHL scores. Thanks for nothing, Sharks.
- This unbelievable empty net goal against is a microcosm of how the Stars' season has gone. [SBN]
- The outstanding rookie that nobody's talking about (outside of Calgary) is Matthew Tkachuk. [M&G]
- TSN's Scott Cullen breaks down the Eastern Conference teams at the trade deadline.
- Some extra public transportation is coming to Chicago's United Center. Must be nice to have a municipality working for you... [SCH]
- A Q&A with George McPhee about a bunch of things, specifically the selection of coaches he has to pick from for his Golden Knights. [Puck Daddy]
- Also, Vegas owner Bill Foley has nice words for Jack Capuano. Hmmm... [Review Journal]
- The NHL is collecting research on head injuries because they want to conduct their own studies. Sure... [NY Times]
- Sad news for Andrei Markov, who had a death in the family and has to return to Russia. [Montreal Gazette]
- This weekend is the NWHL All Star Game in Pittsburgh. Get to know the seven Riveters All Stars at BSB.
Doug The Thug is back in Goon 2: Last of The Enforcers. Might want to keep the sound down if you're at work.