Not a bad way to come back from the break. Now it’s two days off before back-to-backs this weekend. Strap in.
- Recaps: LHH | Newsday | NY Post | Islanders | NHL.com | NYI Skinny | Japers
- John Loves January. [Newsday]
- The net now belongs to Thomas Greiss who is more than happy to stick with the Islanders. [NHL.com| Islanders]
- Leboff and his friend Ryan Smyth handicap the teams standing between the Islanders and the playoffs.
- There were a lot of bad takes out there yesterday following the Islanders-Barclays news from Monday. I won't link to any here because life is too short. I will, however, leave you with the wise words of Arthur Staple going forward:
#Isles fans, I love you all dearly. Stop reacting to every hot take on your captain. He could sign tomorrow and they would still be written.— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) January 31, 2017
- This is good though: Brian and Andy on the many, many sides of the latest arena blow-up. [IPB]
- The players were asked what they thought of the Barclays news and their answers were basically, "whatever" and "we have games to play." [NY Post | AP]
- The official site rounds up the prospects, including Devon Toews at the AHL All Star Classic.
- We didn't talk about this but there are no plans for the Sound Tigers to move to Nassau Coliseum or anywhere else, per AHL commish Dave Andrews. [Soundin' Off with that and other notes]
- Mathew Barzal had a goal and an assist in Seattle's 5-1 win over Tri-City on Sunday night. He has an insane 37 points in 22 games! [Kent Reporter]
- Congrats to Missouri's Carter Verhaeghe on being named ECHL Player of the Week. [Mavs]
- While he's out nursing a broken leg, Medicine Hat defenseman David Quenneville got to try being a color commentator. [Medicine Hat News]
Around the league
- Last night's NHL scores. The Flyers lost, meaning the Islanders gained two big points in the wild card chase.
- Japers Rink runs the numbers and finds a Caps team that's lucky and good.
- The NHL lost a judgment in one of the concussion lawsuits thanks to its own words. [TSN.ca]
- It's official: the Devils' farm team is moving from Albany to Binghamton, which is a little conflicting for the fans who used to root for the Binghamton Senators. [SSS]
- Manny Malhotra is a coach with the Canucks and lending his faceoff expertise to their forwards. [Globe n' Mail]
- The Stars are finding out that in a bad season, social media can be a minefield [DMN]. I often feel bad for the people running the Islanders social media accounts. Be nice to them.