The Capitals’ win over the Rangers last night dropped the Islanders from third in the Metro to a wild card spot. So a win tonight against the Bruins would be... beneficial.
FIG picks go here. Johnny Boychuk is out. Dennis Seidenberg is in, as is Jaroslav Halak. Scott Mayfield sits. Yes, really. Just win the damn game.
- The Islanders’ penalty kill stinks on hot ice these days, so they spent their practice time in Boston working things out. Let’s hope it’s fixed. [Newsday]
- Could Tavares and Barzal be another Crosby and Malkin. I don’t even want to go there yet. But geez... [CBC]
- Penguins and Islanders discuss the agony of hitting the post on a shot. [The Athletic]
- How Bridgeport won that 7-6 win from last week. [CT Post]
- Sound Tigers notes have their first call-up from Worcester - tough guy Yanick Turcotte. Patrick Cullity goes to the Railers.
Around the NHL
- Last night’s NHL’s scores. The Devils lost to the Blue Jackets and one Subban prevailed over another.
- I’ve found this season to be really stressful and All About the Jersey boils down why: The Metro is the worst.
- Don’t look now but the Winnipeg Jets are one of the best teams in the league this year. [Sportsnet]
- Meanwhile, why are the Oilers so bad? [Oilers Nation]
- Looks like the salary cap will rise to at least $78 million, but possibly higher depending on the NHLPA. [TSN]
- Old friend Micheal Haley talks about the role of hockey fighting in 2017 and the legendary Night of Penguins Slaughter. [NY Times]
- Mario Lemieux’s 2000-01 unretirement season was insane. [Sportsnet]
- The Senators Alumni Classic game has a roster of Ottawa players you might remember better from early 90’s EA games. Oh, and one former Sens and Islanders captain [CBC | Sportsnet]