The Islanders begin a two-game, 2017-ending Central road trip tonight in Winnipeg. The Jets are missing key center Mark Scheifele.
Leave your FIG picks for tonight here.
- Two surprising and related announcements yesterday: Despite playing the entire game Wednesday, Johnny Boychuk was placed on IR, and promising rookie Sebastian Aho was recalled from AHL Bridgeport. [LHH | Newsday | CT Post | Isles]
- Dan guested on the Isles Seat podcast talking about Aho, the OT win and more. [Isles Seat]
- Devon Toews is “maintenance day” treating an injury in Bridgeport, if he was in contention with Aho for the callup. [Soundin’ Off]
- David Quenneville scored a pair in Medicine Hat’s latest win. [ChatNewsToday]
- The New York Jr. Islanders are out in Calgary for a tournament. Good luck, kids. [Calgary Sun]
- Next up on stage, please welcome a little known guitarist and singer from Saskatchewan by the name of Bryan Trottier. [Western Star]
Last night’s NHL scores include the Capitals beating the Bruins in a shootout, the Flyers falling in regulation to the Panthers, and Thomas Vanek having a five-point night in Vancouver’s win over the Hawks.
- Should help the Isles tonight, but is a bummer for hockey because he’s awesome: Scheifele is expected to miss 6-8 weeks. [Arctic Ice Hockey]
- The Rangers will be without Chris Kreider indefinitely due to blood clots. [Blueshirt Banter]
- Auston Mathews scored his first NHL goal in Arizona last night. Growing up there shaped his upbringing. [Sportsnet]
- Trading Kris Letang wouldn’t improve the Penguins (so they should definitely do it). [PensBurgh]
- Eric Nystrom is suing the Predators for injury-related medical issues under Tennessee workers’ compensation law. [Tennesseean]
- NHL vets’ performance in the Spengler Cup is getting them consideration for the Olympic team. [CBC]