Matinee game today when the high-flyin’ Jets buzz Barclays. The Islanders reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally need a win. But you knew that already.
Reminded of the time an old friend, not a hockey guy, was assigned to cover Devils practice. He noticed "STFP" on the whiteboard. Asked Marty Brodeur what it meant. "Stop the f------ puck." Good advice, always.— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) December 22, 2017
FIG picks go here. There’ll be an update today on Calvin de Haan’s status but he’ll be out.
- Okay so they give up a bunch of shots and can’t stop a puck and their bottom six is kinda useless but, man, the Islanders top line really is a sight to behold. [Newsday]
- Jon Ledecky says playing at the Coliseum is up to Gary Bettman, and Bettman says they’ll have to think it over and now Bill Daly says it’s up to the Islanders. That clears things up. [NY Post]
- Josh Bailey loves dishin’ and fishin’. [NHLPA]
- How a change of scenery can help a player, featuring Jordan Eberle. [Sportsnet]
- Arthur Staple talked with Ray Ferraro and Steve Matthes about Belmont, Tavares and Ray’s softspot for the Islanders. [Pulp Hockey]
- I don’t know if the Belmont news fried their brains or if they’re feeling generous at the Christmas season but a bunch of Canadian media types are suddenly talking a lot of shit about John Tavares. None of its sourced or concrete or reports anything - mostly just gut feelings and “isn’t that interesting”s - but it’s out there nonetheless. Read at your own risk. Encyclopedia update coming next week. [Dreger on the Habs or maybe the Leafs | Dreger on the Leafs again | McKenzie on twin UFAs Bailey and Tavares]
- The Sound Tigers dropped a 5-2 decision to Springfield last night. Josh Ho-Sang and Mitch Vande Sompel with the goals. [BST | CT Post]
- Bridgeport’s Ross Johnston is trying to be more than a goon. [CT Post]
- The Railers were in the holiday spirit, giving away Christmas trees and cold had cash to charities and childrens clubs around Worcester. [Telegram]
- Last night’s NHL scores. Thank you, Buffalo.
- The Golden Knights’ second line is really good. Which sucks for the Panthers because it basically used to be theirs. [TSN.ca]
- Could an NHL-ready building also be coming to San Diego? [SD Union Trib]
- PK Subban is up to his holiday tricks again, making people’s lives better and wearing disguises (that at least one kid isn’t buying for a second). He’s the best. [SBN]
It's holiday surprise year four, and I - or shall I say 'Eddie' - is back for much more! A big thank you to @rjosi90 @ChefAntonioPark @PredsNHL @HopitalChildren and all of the other friends who helped make this year happen!! Enjoy folks, and happy holidays!! pic.twitter.com/2sOIvI6dRx— P.K. Subban (@PKSubban1) December 22, 2017