Strike that. The news already broke yesterday. Today is the official announcement from the State that they have selected the Islanders bid on the RFP to develop Belmont, which means a new “forever” home for the Isles.
Wait, but strike that other part too: It’s significant for the long-term health of the franchise. But for this season, when there is a window to do something meaningful in the postseason, today’s news doesn’t mean squat compared to missing out on two points in a very winnable game.
Ah, hockey. Cruel beast.
- About last night: They lost, it hurt. [LHH | NHL | Newsday | Isles]
- About the goaltending (which we will talk about, but...) [Post]
- Also, Justin Abdelkader was fined $5,000 for spearing Scott Mayfield last night. That was quick.
- About Calvin de Haan: Guardedly not-worst-news as the docs are still deciding, which at least means it’s not an automatic “oh dude, his shoulder’s toast” kind of deal. [Newsday]
- About today: We knew the announcement was coming and we figured who would win, but many reports confirm yes, the Islanders get Belmont. [Newsday | Bloomberg | Times | Post]
- Brooksie sounds downright giddy about the whole thing. [Post] Of course there are Elmont residents planning to sue. [LIBN]
- What the captain said about Belmont. [Post]
- But enough about what Tavares said Belmont means to him, let’s hear others discuss what Belmont means to him. [Fan Rag]
- Here are what fans say about Belmont, before complaining about the traffic or food or something. [Newsday]
- Humorous irony: An Isles arena at Belmont would compete with...Nassau Coliseum. [Newsday]
- Kieffer Bellows is loving the WHL life. [Isles]
- The Islanders are awesome gift givers off the ice, too. [Brooklyn Reporter]
- What’s goin’ down in Bridgeport, Week 11. [Sound Tigers]
- Lots of Bridgeport notes and a shout out to Dan. [Soundin’ Off]
- In Tweet form:
Tavares on Belmont : 'Great for organization, players, our families but mostly our fans and fanbase. Much deserved, where identity is. Won't determine or change anything at this point regarding my personal situation' #isles— Andy Graziano (@AndyGraz_SNY) December 20, 2017
Tavares on future here with #isles: "Whatever news today or whatever is made of tomorrow it's not going to determine or change anything at this point."— Christian Arnold (@C_Arnold01) December 20, 2017
Last night’s scores include the Hurricanes being slaughtered in Toronto, the Capitals winning in overtime, and the Rangers beating the Ducks, who visit Brooklyn Thursday. Also: Thomas Vanek with a hat trick in a 7-5 loss.
- The most underrated players in the NHL, according to some other rated players. [ESPN]
- The Penguins acquired tall but not-so-good Stars defenseman Jamie Oleksiak. [Defending Big D]
- Craig Custance talks about his book about NHL coaches, and the fate of hockey in Atlanta. [The Post Game]
- On the Ducks’ swing through the area, the Devils gave former teammate Adam Henrique the “pads of seduction.” [SB Nation]