The Islanders lost a should’ve-won-game to the Red Wings last night, but more significant news comes today.
Strike that. The news already broke yesterday. Today is the official announcement from the State that they have selected the Islanders bid on the RFP to develop Belmont, which means a new “forever” home for the Isles.
Wait, but strike that other part too: It’s significant for the long-term health of the franchise. But for this season, when there is a window to do something meaningful in the postseason, today’s news doesn’t mean squat compared to missing out on two points in a very winnable game.
Ah, hockey. Cruel beast.
- About last night: They lost, it hurt. [LHH | NHL | Newsday | Isles]
- About the goaltending (which we will talk about, but...) [Post]
- Also, Justin Abdelkader was fined $5,000 for spearing Scott Mayfield last night. That was quick.
- About Calvin de Haan: Guardedly not-worst-news as the docs are still deciding, which at least means it’s not an automatic “oh dude, his shoulder’s toast” kind of deal. [Newsday]
- About today: We knew the announcement was coming and we figured who would win, but many reports confirm yes, the Islanders get Belmont. [Newsday | Bloomberg | Times | Post]
- Brooksie sounds downright giddy about the whole thing. [Post] Of course there are Elmont residents planning to sue. [LIBN]
- What the captain said about Belmont. [Post]
- But enough about what Tavares said Belmont means to him, let’s hear others discuss what Belmont means to him. [Fan Rag]
- Here are what fans say about Belmont, before complaining about the traffic or food or something. [Newsday]
- Humorous irony: An Isles arena at Belmont would compete with...Nassau Coliseum. [Newsday]
- Kieffer Bellows is loving the WHL life. [Isles]
- The Islanders are awesome gift givers off the ice, too. [Brooklyn Reporter]
- What’s goin’ down in Bridgeport, Week 11. [Sound Tigers]
- Lots of Bridgeport notes and a shout out to Dan. [Soundin’ Off]
- In Tweet form:
Tavares on Belmont : 'Great for organization, players, our families but mostly our fans and fanbase. Much deserved, where identity is. Won't determine or change anything at this point regarding my personal situation' #isles— Andy Graziano (@AndyGraz_SNY) December 20, 2017
Tavares on future here with #isles: "Whatever news today or whatever is made of tomorrow it's not going to determine or change anything at this point."— Christian Arnold (@C_Arnold01) December 20, 2017
Last night’s scores include the Hurricanes being slaughtered in Toronto, the Capitals winning in overtime, and the Rangers beating the Ducks, who visit Brooklyn Thursday. Also: Thomas Vanek with a hat trick in a 7-5 loss.
- The most underrated players in the NHL, according to some other rated players. [ESPN]
- The Penguins acquired tall but not-so-good Stars defenseman Jamie Oleksiak. [Defending Big D]
- Craig Custance talks about his book about NHL coaches, and the fate of hockey in Atlanta. [The Post Game]
- On the Ducks’ swing through the area, the Devils gave former teammate Adam Henrique the “pads of seduction.” [SB Nation]