Leave your First Islanders Goal picks for tonight here.
(Leave your Next Islanders Arena pick here.)
- The rumors were true: this Belmont thing is moving along, and quickly. The state plans an announcement Wednesday from Belmont Park. The future of the Islanders hangs in the balance. [LHH | Newsday]
- Make Belmont awesome, says the Newsday editorial.
- On the ice, the Isles are getting big production out of the top line, which Doug Weight is riding. [Isles]
- We have a roster move to announce...and it looks ugly: Calvin de Haan to IR, Thomas Hickey comes off IR. [LHH | Isles]
- No official word, but it’s the shoulder — de Haan has had issues there before — and Staple broaches the possibility of it being seasonlong. [Newsday]
- The Islanders bring excitement and goals — at both ends — but Weight believes they can score more while giving up less. [The Score]
- Josh Bailey’s big week earned him Third Star of the Week from the NHL. [LHH | NHL | NHL Now interview]
- Last week hurt the Isles (again) in our weekly power rankings, but they’re hanging on. [LHH]
- But they’ve been good guys yet again, visiting hospitals and spreading good cheer. [Newsday | Isles | Photos]
- ICYMI: Jordan Eberle adjusts to life in New York. [Times]
Not Only, But Also
If you listen to no other episode of Dan’s Golden Girls Sports, listen to this one. [Golden Girls Sports Podcast]
Last night’s scores include the Devils winning because they always do, the Blue Jackets being spanked in Boston, the Flyers losing to the Kings and the Penguins losing to the Avalanche.
- This Adam Henrique goal in his return to New Jersey, beating the guy he was traded for, is kind of insane. [Puck Daddy]
- A Down Goes Brown roundup including, is Mike Babcock to blame for the Leafs’ stalling? [Sportsnet]
- In comparison to de Haan, the news is good for Canucks super-rookie Brock Boeser, who doesn’t appear to be out long term. [Sportsnet]
- Michael Grabner vies for another Cy Young. [WSJ]
- Athletes From Russia’s leaked(?) Olympic hockey jersey is hilariously generic. [SB Nation]
- Ryan Strome scored the 10,000th goal in Oilers franchise history. Which is a thing they’re tracking, though it probably leaves out a bunch of playoff goals. [Sportsnet]
- In Austria, players fight during a TV interview. [Puck Daddy]
- CitiField prepares for the Winter Classic. [Newsday]
- Ryan Reaves hazing Phil “Thriller” Kessel. [Sportsnet]