Crazy game last night. That Barzal kid, he’s gonna be a good one.
- Recaps of Mat Barzal’s five assist explosion: LHH | Newsday | NY Post | NHL | Islanders | NYI Skinny
- The NY Post on Barzal’s Big Night.
- Part of what made the game so odd: Matt Duchene, a player long connected with the Islanders in trade talks, was traded to Ottawa in the first period of this game, and left the ice. [Newsday]
- Now-retired, Mark Streit regards his time as an Islander as special. [Newsday]
- Chris Gibson’s shutout streak ended during Bridgeport’s victory over Springfield Saturday night. [Soundin’ Off | CT Post]
- They went on to win again on Sunday against Providence. Michael Dal Colle was scratched. [Soundin’ Off]
- “Dr. J” Julius Erving was a Nets legend, going back to when they began their existence at the Coliseum, which was extremely special to him, as he was born and grew up around the block from the Coliseum. With the Long Island Nets, he gets to relive his youthful glory, a little bit. [Newsday]
- Last night’s NHL scores.
- So yeah, Duchene was traded to the Senators in a massive three-team swap, that involved Kyle Turris going to Nashville (and signing an extension) and a metric ton of picks and prospects going to Colorado. [TSN | MHH | SBN College on Shane Bowers, one of the prospects]
- As one might imagine, it’s a strange feeling to be pulled from a game because you were traded. Oh, and Duchene’s first games as a Senator will be next weekend in Sweden, against the Avalanche. [Sportsnet]
- Many wondered, at first glance, why the Sens were willing to part with Turris. He is a UFA at year’s end and it didn’t look like he was going to re-sign. [TSN]
- Old friend Matt Martin had himself a three-assist game on Saturday in St. Louis. And nice assists, too. Not garbage ones. [Puck Daddy]
- The “On the Bench” guys are growing in popularity. [SI.com]