The Islanders will complete a 3-games-in-4-days stretch with the conclusion of today’s game against the Blues. The matinee game’s puck drop will be at 1:00 p.m. It is also Kids Day at Barclays Center. Leave your FIG picks here.
Not a whole lot of newsworthy items around the league during the long weekend and the beginning of the season, so here are some joint bits.
Today’s lineup will be the same as the other night. We wait for Ryan Pulock. Greiss will man the pipes.
Doug Weight: Greiss in goal today, same lineup. #Isles pic.twitter.com/RuT931dzOs— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) October 9, 2017
- Nick Leddy played in his 500th NHL game on Saturday night. It’s weird to remember that he’s only 26. Also weird: he’s played almost half of those games as an Islander. Time has flown, my friends. [Islanders]
- Doug Weight got exactly what he was looking for when he shuffled his bottom six forwards around to replace Cal Clutterbuck. Brock Nelson and Casey Cizikas worked pretty well in their new roles. [Newsday]
- Peter Bondra is back with the Capitals’ organization, filling the role of Director of Alumni Affairs & Business Development. [RMNB]
- Peter Forsberg thinks the Avalanche should bench Matt Duchene until he’s traded, and then trade him quickly. I suppose that’s one way to resurface in the media. [NBCSN]
- Kailer Yamamoto (who I badly wanted the Islanders to select) made the Oilers out of training camp. He hasn’t played much, however, and if he isn’t playing, he should be sent back to his junior team in Spokane, WA. [C&B]
- J.T. Brown, a player of color who has been outspoken on issues of race in the past, became the first NHL player to protest during the national anthem, raising his fist in solidarity with other athletes that have protested institutional racism and police brutality during the anthem. He further explained his protest in a statement on Twitter:
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”— Jt brownov (@JTBrown23) October 8, 2017
-Martin Luther King Jr. pic.twitter.com/Ql2vEFwl5E