Mike and Dan examine the Islanders' wild week: two big wins (and two John Tavares hat tricks), one ugly loss, and the somewhat surprising assignment of Josh Ho-Sang to the AHL.
They then get philosophical and discuss how the Islanders got to be what Tyler Dellow wrote in The Athletic, "might be the most perfectly average team in the NHL." Finally, they revisit the team's Alumni Night and all of the former and forgotten Islanders that attended and who they'd like to see in a future iteration.
- Here’s Dellow’s article in The Athletic. You’ll have to subscribe to read the whole thing, but here’s the Islanders part:
Looking more at the big picture, there are a few teams that are doing well that I'm awfully suspicious of: Tampa Bay, Philadelphia, New Jersey and Ottawa. Which leaves Toronto and Columbus as teams doing well that I'm a believer in and the New York Islanders, who might be the most perfectly average team in the NHL.
- Here’s that Arthur Staple tweet about Western Conference teams against the Islanders at Barclays Center. It was from after the Sharks game on the 21st, so make it now 23-4-4.
#Isles win 5-3. Now 22-4-4 against the West @barclayscenter— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) October 22, 2017
- Here’s the Sportsnet video on the Oilers potentially moving Ryan Strome.
- This is what John Tavares looks like after scoring his second hat trick of the week.
this is his delighted face pic.twitter.com/DkT0I2mcI5— Dan Saraceni (@cultureoflosing) October 29, 2017
- BONUS: Dom’s recap of the legendary Joey McDonald shutout over the Red Wings in Detroit with the equally memorable headline. I still can’t believe this happened.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word as best you can. All of it helps to raise the show's profile and maybe could get us a fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, leave us message on Sound Cloud, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme Song: "Sports" by Josh Spacek, available at the FreeMusicArchive.org.
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app using our RSS feed: https://feed.pippa.io/public/shows/islandersanxiety
Our Soundcloud page: soundcloud.com/lighthouse-hockey
Also available at: