The New York Islanders lost, 6-4, in Minnesota Thursday, but it was never really that close.
From an early 3-0 deficit — including another shorthanded goal — to a last-second Mathew Barzal goal to tighten the final scoreline — which included another shorthanded goal — the result was rarely in doubt. The Isles did nothing last night to indicate they are on the right track.
- About last night: Jenny drew the short straw for making sense of that mess from here [LHH] Arthur Staple reported from the scene of the “embarrassing, zero battle” night, with Weight (finally) pledging changes to the power play. [Newsday] Which is where the Isles are “shooting ourselves in the foot,” says captain. [Isles] For the Wild, a feast. [Star-Tribune]
- It was the first time the Isles conceded six in Minnesota since Mike Modano’s first NHL game. (Also, quietly: Josh Bailey now has 10 points.) [NYI Skinny]
- Before the game, talk of Anthony Beauvillier needing to make the most of his return (and he scored); also, Adam Pelech on his power play role. [Newsday]
- Because of course, local Minneapolis-St. Paul TV features Anders Lee and Nick Leddy as former rivals. [KTSP]
- Great long read on the journey to Mathew Barzal’s NHL career (and first goal). [Isles]
- “Hockey with a Heart,” the Isles’ new charity initiative. [Isles]
- Jim Baumbach discusses the road to Belmont. [PTIsles podcast]
- From the scene with Alan Quine on a conditioning stint in Bridgeport after hand surgery. [Soundin’ Off] And Joshua Ho-Sang (and Brent Thompson) discuss his return to the Sound Tigers. [CT Post]
- Quite the penalty-fest in the Railers’ 5-1 loss to Colorado. [Mass Live]
- More good stuff from Kelly Hrudey on his book. [THN]
- Last night’s scores include the Habs losing again and the Panthers blowing up the Ducks.
- Agent Dan Milstein deleted his tweets about Claude Julien’s track record Russian players and apologizes for opining about another agent’s player (Alex Galchenyuk), but stands by his assertion. [Sportsnet]
- Derek Stepan was kind of dreading his return to the Garden for the first time as a Coyote. [Post]
- The Penguins placed Justin Schultz on IR. [NHL]
- Has Peter Chiarelli already made life difficult for Connor McDavid’s Oilers? [Vice]
- The Leafs and Hurricanes (who met last night) look like perfect trade partners. [Sportsnet]
- Evidently Logan Couture’s hat trick against the Isles won a fan $100,000. [Sharks]
- On Athletic Knit, the team behind some of the more clever AHL and ECHL jersey designs. [NBC]