All Star Game is today, 3:30 pm ET on NBC, CBC, TVA and Sportsnet. The Atlantic Division won the Skills Competition and will face the Metro in the first game. Then it’s Pacific versus Central and then it’s the final. Should be fun.
Yesterday was mostly fun, too.
New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) January 29, 2017
- The Skills Showcase was fun, but John Tavares's bid for back-to-back accuracy shooting crowns went up in flames. At least this time, he got the best of the mini-nets in the passing challenge. [LHH]
- Guys, did you know that Tavares wants to stay with the Islanders? I know. This isn't something we've ever heard him say before. [Johnston at Sportsnet | CP via SN | Our Encyclopedia keeps getting bigger]
- Naturally, Tavares took the time to pal around with friends and now rivals Kyle Okposo and Frans Nielsen. [Newsday | NY Post]
- The Commish was asked about the Islanders and Barclays Center and said that the owners have stuff to sort out but are committed to New York. Thanks for clearing that up, Gary. [LHH | Newsday | As expected, the Post takes the darkest tone]
- Meanwhile back home, Doug Weight the coach is basically Doug Weight the man. [Newsday]
- Rick DiPietro says the Islanders actual retail price is: "Playoffs." [Sportsnet]
- New York's hockey history is on display in L.A. [Newsday]
- Mike Bossy is part of that history because of stories like this. [LHH]
- Thankfully, Billy Smith didn't attempt to decapitate any of the other NHL legends at the weekend's festivities. [NHL.com]
- Make it seven wins in a row for Bridgeport after Saturday's 3-2 win over Lehigh Valley. Jaroslav Halak made 29 saves. And Brent Thompson passes Jack Capuano for winningest coach in Sound Tigers history. Tough few weeks for ol' Cappy. [CT Post | Soundin' Off]
More from LA
- A rundown of how the Atlantic won the day thanks in part to Ryan Kesler's young son scoring a goal on Carey Friggin' Price. [SBN | And pictures]
- There was a celebrity game that you didn't know about and was streamed on NHL.com before the Skills Competition. The only thing that really matters is that Chris Pronger gleefully plastered Justin Bieber against the boards and we all laughed. [NHL.com]
- Bettman also says the Hurricanes aren't going to Quebec City, calling out BS reports from up north. Congrats to Carolina fans. We know the feeling. [TSN.ca]
- Friday in L.A., the league hosted an NHL Women in Sports Business panel featuring important figures such as Hall of Famer Angela Ruggiero, esteemed writer Helene Elliott, Ducks co-owner Susan Samueli, NBCSN's Kathryn Tappen and actress and business owner Alyssa Milano discussing their experiences in and love of the game.
- Oh Snoop. [SBN]