I almost didn’t watch last night’s game because I kinda figured it would be a fourth straight 2-1 loss and another nail in this season’s coffin. Turns out, I would have missed a fairly energetic and satisfying win that included the historic moments of John Tavares’ 499th, 500th and 501st NHL points. Afterwards, I was positively giddy, something I don’t think any of us us could say at any point over the last few months. That coffin would have to wait another day.
But that was then. Tonight in Raleigh, the Islanders have another game and it’s not gonna be a cakewalk. Yeah, the Hurricanes played last night, too (beating Buffalo 5-2), but they just don’t lose at home these days, going 13-1-1 in their last 15 at PNC Center.
So, I hope you enjoyed last night. The encore might be less satisfying. But you never know. Maybe the flood gates around Mount Tavares are about to open.
FIG Picks go here. Tavares might have the hot hand.
- Recaps: LHH | Newsday | NHL.com | NYI Skinny
- Beau was back! Now to just keep him there. [Newsday]
- Denis Potvin remembers his 300th goal, which was the most by a defenseman in NHL history at the time. [NHL.com]
- The Sound Tigers rallied to tie their game against Binghamton last night, but lost in OT. [CT Post | Michael Fornabaio's ode to Binghamton's arena and AHL culture.
- Last night's NHL scores. The Capitals demolished the Blackhawks 6-zip.
- It was Martin St. Louis Night in Tampa, as the Lightning raised his No. 26 to the rafters. No trade demand jokes, please. Raw Charge is all over the pomp, circumstance and memories.
- How the NHL's Western Conference shifted thanks to Devan Dubnyk. [Wilderness]
- Dmitri Filipovic on when nice guys finish last on the stats page. [PDOcast]
- Possibly of interest: Sportsnet's first Draft Prospect Rankings.
- There was some mascot-on-mascot violence at the Wild game. Nordy is a bad... whatever he is.[SCH]