Happy New Year to all. We hope your 2017 is a prosperous and fulfilling one in all aspects beyond just our favorite hockey team.
So whether you’re hosting today or just sleeping off a hangover, enjoy these links. The Islanders’ next game is Friday (!) in Denver.
- Recaps: LHH | Newsday | Islanders | NHL.com | NYI Skinny
- Winnipeg connections from The Sun: Andrew Ladd faces his old mates (and scores, naturally). | Travis Hamonic still isn't talking about his trade request and loves where he is. So back the hell up.
- As expected Jaroslav Halak cleared waivers and is now a Bridgeport Sound Tiger. Good luck down there. Don't get hurt. [Newsday | Soundin' Off]
- In the wake of that still surprising turn, some idiot fool wrote an unfunny post about the NHL putting the Islanders on waivers. [Zeitgeist]
- Also back in Bridgeport are Adam Pelech, off IR and on loan from the Islanders, and Kyle Burroughs, who was away due to a death in his family. Our condolences on his loss. [CT Post]
- Before today's 3 pm game against Albany, have some fun with Michael Fornabaio's Sound Tigers Trivia Quiz. [Soundin' Off]
Taking It Outside
- Today at 3 is the Maple Leafs-Red Wings Centennial Classic. The last time these two hooked up in an outdoor arena in 2014, Toronto was in a different place as a franchise. [PPP]
- The Alumni Game is always the best part of these things and yesterday's had Mike Palmateer being silly [PPP] and Gary Roberts and Kris Draper nearly coming to very real blows. Guys, relax. It's supposed to be fun. [TSN.ca]
- And Monday at 1 is the Winter Classic from St. Louis between the Blues and Blackhawks. Busch Stadium is ready for its NHL outdoor debut. [St. Louis Today]
- Remember when Brett Hull and Wayne Gretzky were Blues teammates? They do. [Gametime]
- And in that event's Alumni Game yesterday, ya know who put on quite a show? One Pierre Turgeon. He's still got the hands. [Gametime]
- Make it 15 wins in a row for the Blue Jackets, whose fans should soak in being on the good side of NHL history for a change. [Blue Jackets Xtra]
- Team USA beat Canada 3-1 at World Juniors yesterday and won Group B. Mathew Barzal had an assist on Canada's only goal. Now, onto the playoff rounds. [TSN.ca]
- Jonathan Willis on how to acquire that mythical top-four defenseman. [Sportsnet]
- Best story of the night: the Hurricanes signed their 37-year old equipment manager to a one day PTO as their emergency back-up goalie. And for about eight seconds, he was an NHL player. That's cool as hell. [SB Nation]