The first preseason game (win!) is in the books, and tonight the Isles are at the Garden. It's on MSG and MSG+. The World Cup final begins tonight. Let's get to it.
- The Islanders won their preseason game (Ryan Strome fought!? See 1st tweet below), 3-0 over the Flyers. Ho-Sang from Barzal, yo. [Isles/NHL | LHH game thread | LHH recap]
- Mikhail Grabovski is officially on IR, Cal Clutterbuck is day-to-day, and so is that PTO Gionta guy. [LHH]
- Of all the goalies in camp, Jean-Francois Berube has - believe it or not - the most NHL experience. But he still might be the low man on a three goalie totem pole when the season starts, as the Islanders have apparently moved further away from the idea of trading Jaroslav Halak. [Staple]
- In your WHERE ARE THE ISLANDERS daily, Brett Yormark won't talk about the summer (and fall, and winter, and...) talk of losing the Islanders to a different spot in New York. [Newsday | AP]
- The perfect cap to yesterday's picture of Halak and Lundqvist in the handshake line is talk of Henrik Lundqvist headed home after losing his ninth consecutive head-to-head matchup with Isles goalie . [Post]
Opening Lines from Last Night
Berube in goal
Preseason hockey! pic.twitter.com/ap3OXtriJ3— Flyers Nation (@FlyersNation) September 27, 2016
"Overall I'm really pleased with the effort the guys put in. I was happy with the young guys and the way they played." -Cappy | #Isles— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) September 27, 2016
Josh Ho-Sang roofs one from the doorstep. 2-0 Islanders. pic.twitter.com/Fz2KcRZ0Ab— Sons of Penn (@SonsofPenn) September 27, 2016
Beyond the Isle
- Not doing well after Sunday's Europe win?
Anze KopitarMarian Gaborik, who injured his foot. [JFTC]
- The Bruins reportedly signed Brad Marchand to an...eight...year...deal? About $6 million per, through his age 36 season. [SCOC]
- The Oilers unveiled a new mascot and Twitter could not contain itself. [CBS Sports | Sporting News]
- More I'm-not-coming drama: Tobia Rieder isn't showing up to Coyotes camp. [AZ Central]
- The Blues have a new backup goalie in Carter Hutton and he has met The Undertaker. [NHL]
- Meanwhile, Steve Ott is not good. [WIIM]
- The name change is over a year old. But it still happens. Every time a broadcast or referee calls them the "Phoenix" Coyotes, Five For Howling will continue giving to charity. [FFH] Follow @PhoenixJar during the season to read and help out.