No World Cup of Hockey games today. The first semifinal - featuring Canada and Russia - is tomorrow night at 6:30 on ESPN.
- Training camp 2016 begins with high expectations and one Islander already down. Mikhail Grabovski has not been cleared to skate due to lingering concussion symptoms [LHH] | Four guys are still at the World Cup [Newsday] | But everyone on Long Island is optimistic and even a little silly. [Islanders] | Time for the next step. [Daily News] | They're retooled and ready [AP]
- Assessing the many aspects of Ryan Strome's new contract. [TSS]
- The Islanders golf outing raised $100K for charity. Congrats to new guy Jason Chimera on the win. [Islanders]
The World and elsewhere
- Nikolay Kulemin joins John Tavares, Jaroslav Halak and Thomas Greiss in the World Cup of Hockey semifinals as Russia shut out Finland 3-0. [LHH]
- Team USA makes an ignominious exit from the World Cup, finishing 0-3-0 after a 4-3 loss to the Czech Republic last night. To paraphrase the Joker, this team needs an enema. [NHL.com | Dean Lombardi says Team USA couldn't match skills with Canada so they didn't bother. Also, they disregarded Team Europe. [NHL.com]
- Phil Kessel's now legendary burn on Team USA was a case of the meek finally fighting back against his many, many critics. [TSS]
- Also not medically cleared to start camp is David Clarkson, whom the Blue Jackets are going to have to deal with somehow. How about a trade for Nathan Horton? [Dispatch]
- Joffrey Lupul won't be ready for camp, either, but wants to return this season. [PPP]
- Comcast now owns all of the Flyers, so direct your hatred accordingly. [BSH]
- PPP takes their knives out for the Rangers and New York City.