It’s here! Training camp (kinda, sorta) begins today, with players reporting and being measured and photographed and probably accosted for social media and community commitments.
Look for lots of media and quotes to begin coming out about the team from credentialed and team-sponsored sources. It must be the start of fall...
- As camp opens, the new guys are looking to be leaders and the young guys are looking to fill the void left by the departed. [Newsday]
- Which is another way of saying the team has changed but faces familiar questions. [Post]
- With Rookie Camp wrapped up, the hot prospects are saying all the right things. [NHL]
- ...which is just as well, since the exhibition against the Flyers youth was a dud. [LHH]
- Anyway, Michael Dal Colle's reflections on his six games with Bridgeport are a reminder that holy cow, these kids are just 20 years old. [NHL] (ICYMI, similar quotes to MIchael Fornabaio's Connecticut Post story on Dal Colle last weekend.)
- John Tavares and Canada beat Europe and Jaroslav Halak (who played) and Thomas Greiss (who didn’t dress), but both teams advance out of Group A for the World Cup semifinal. [NHL]
- Despite the loss, Halak was fairly outstanding for many of his 42 saves. [LHH]
- A mentor to Jack Capuano and countless others passes away. [Soundin' Off]
Those Other Places
- Anton Stralman says yeah, I came back early with a broken leg in last spring's playoffs. [Raw Charge]
- Taylor Hall gives the Devils something they haven't had since...ever? An out-of-your-seat player. [Post]
- Oft-injured Joffrey Lupul failed his physical, seems IR-bound. [PPP]
- Fantastic play-by-play man Dave Strader isues an update on his cancer diagnosis. Be strong. [NHL]
- Continuing to inch toward correcting a mistake, the Flames will wear their retro reds as a third jersey this season. [M&G]
- The Peoria Riverman have signed Team Canada's (women) goalie Shannon Szabados. [PJ Star]
- The NHL hopes to "score" with virtual ads on the boards, right? [Globe and Mail]
Now...let camp begin!