Today at the World Cup of Hockey, Nikolay Kulemin and Russia open up versus Sweden at 3 pm, while Team North America and Team Finland play in the night game.
- Jaroslav Halak made 35 saves as Team Europe opened the World Cup with a 3-0 shutout win over Team USA. Looks like vintage Halak, getting the job done with a couple of scares in between. [LHH]
- Meanwhile in the night game, Carey Price earned his own shutout as Team Canada obliterated the Czech Republic 6-zip. Sorry, Dom. But at least John Tavares had a couple of assists. [NHL.com]
- Brian at IPB asks an important question: for the World Cup, do you root for country or for the the Islanders. For me, the answer is always Islanders. No explanation.
- A year after his difficult trade request, Travis Hamonic is still an Islander and couldn't be happier. [Newsday]
- Rookie camp continued, and Michael Dal Colle is looking to build upon his short AHL experience from last season. [CT Post]
- Great news, everyone: Josh Ho-Sang woke up on time! And he's packing a positive attitude. [Newsday]
- Here's the man in action, courtesy of Sound Tigers pxp man Alan Fuehring
- And here are more campers camping