The World Cup of Hockey is finally here, and kicks off with two games today and tonight. We'll have a game thread later, so mow the lawn, hit the mall and be back by 3 pm, when Team Europe and Team USA open the festivities.
But for now:
- The official site previews the tournament for the four Islanders participating.
- Jaroslav Halak and Thomas Greiss are part of Team Europe, a roster that reminds me of a Sci Fi classic.
- Arthur Staple talks with the Chin Music podcast about the World Cup and the Islanders in general.
- Meanwhile on Long Island, Islanders rookie camp is underway and there are already questions that could seriously impact the season, including an update on the status of Mikhail Grabovski. [LHH | Isles Notes]
- IslesTalk asks when Ryan Strome will sign and extension. Soon, we hope.
- Staple also dropped this note:
wasn't very successful, but at least we'll get to use this PPP approved picture for a while. It kinda sums up his entire body of work in Toronto.
- Wanna win tickets to every Islanders home game this season? Enter MSG Network's sweepstakes here.
- The Red Wings made some moves, adding former NHLer Shawn Horcoff to their front office staff [WIIM] and signing should-be-former NHLer Dan Cleary to a PTO [WIIM]
- Friend of the blog Zeb from Eyes on the Prize talks to former Canadiens captain Saku Koivu on the PuckDrop podcast. [EOTP]
- Where do college hockey players come from? Turns out the answer is, "a lot more places than just Massachusetts, Minnesota and New York." [SBN College Hockey]
- Ryan Callahan opens a new foundation to make kids' dreams come true. [Raw Charge]
- But back in New York, Mats Zuccarello is bummed that his close Rangers teammates keep getting traded. Sad face. [Brooksie, of course]