Better still, Islanders rookies report to camp starting today.
- John Tavares scored the game-tying goal for Canada in last night's final warm-up game against Russia. Ryan Getzlaf scored the winner in overtime. [NHL.com]
- Here's Tavares' seeing-eye score:
- Jaroslav Halak, who got the win in Team Europe's practice game victory over Sweden last night, and Thomas Greiss, who was scratched, are among the World Cup participants with extra motivation according to CBS Sports.
- Halak has already been named Team Europe's starter for the tournament. [NHL.com]
- Dom looked at Islanders connections in the old Canada Cup tournaments that predate the World Cup. With scans from an old Islanders Magazine courtesy of WRANGLERRICK.
- NHL Network's Orchestrating an Upset documentary on the 1996 World Cup is more informative than it is innovative. [LHH]
- The Hockey Writers break down the Islanders ratings, lines and other info in NHL 17.
- A look inside the ongoing renovations at Nassau Coliseum. Don't forget your hard hat. [Newsday]
And the rest
- Colorado has made a couple of hires for their analytics department, including former EOTP and Hockey Graphs writer Arik Parnass. That's cool. [BSN Denver]
- They're short one defenseman in New Jersey. Anyone free this season to sub in? [AATJ]
- Leafs fans ask the team to to take a proactive stance on domestic violence. [PPP]
- The Predators are adding to Nashville's gold record collection by going to gold helmets at home all season long. [OTF]
- Happy 80th birthday to the Oshawa Generals, team of John Tavares and Michael Dal Colle among many others. [Oshawa Express]
Down Goes Brown remembers more obscure hockey video games including NHL All Star Hockey for Sega Saturn. But he gets points off for not mentioning the legendary Coach LaBou and his intermission "pep talks."