Yesterday was crazy. There will probably be a few more signings today so stay tuned. In the meantime, there's a lot to catch up on.
- At approximately 12:01 pm, the Islanders announced they had signed Andrew Ladd, formerly of Carolina, Chicago, Atlanta, Winnipeg and Chicago again. [LHH | Isles | NHL.com | NY Post]
- Less than an hour later, they added Jason Chimera, formerly of Edmonton, Columbus and Washington. [LHH | Garik on his not-so-good underlyings | Isles]
- Newsday reports on both signings, while Brian at IPB has some insightful thoughts.
- Meanwhile, Kyle Okposo, Frans Nielsen and Matt Martin are now ex-Islanders. [LHH on Okposo | LHH on Nielsen | TSS on the curious Ladd over Okposo decision | Check out the reactions on Winging it in Motown and Die By The Blade]
- Regardless of who's in or out, the Islanders are banking on their young players to come through. [McNally!]
- And in the least sexy but still satisfying news of the day, Shane Prince returns on a tidy RFA contract extension. [LHH]
Non Free agency stuff
- As of now, Charles Wang is a minority owner. Peter Schwartz of CBS reflects.
- Jean-Francois Berube is your surprise Save of the Year winner. [Islanders]
- Guy builds Nassau Coliseum replica in his backyard. Nassau is probably already suing him for unpaid parking and concessions payments. [News 12]
- There were a ton of signings yesterday, and you can read all about them here at the SBN NHL mothership.
- Grades after Day 1 from SBN and Puck Daddy's Ryan Lambert (the Islanders got okay marks from both).
- Trying to follow the Oilers is enough to drive you mad. [C&B]
- The Habs have decided to pin their hopes on rogue Russian counter agent Alex Radulov. [EOTP]
- The Blues lost Brian Elliott, Troy Brouwer and David Backes and they might be... okay? [StL GT] | Sounds like the split with Backes was emotional [Puck Daddy] | Brouwer was a bad signing for Calgary. [Flames Nation]
- The guy who had the best week as Steve Yzerman, who just kept his own excellent players in house. [Tampa Bay.com 1 and Tampa Bay.com 2]
- Down Goes Brown minces no words: The Canadiens fucked up by trading P.K. Subban. [Vice]
- Our long national nightmare is over and has moved on to Winnipeg. [Jets sign Brian Strait - AIH]