Welcome to Day 2 of the 2016 NHL Draft. Day was about a three out of ten on the chaos scale, so maybe Saturday will bring some more excitement.
Round 2 coverage kicks off on NHL Network and NHL.com at 10 am. We'll have an open thread with the SBN Draft Tracker up shortly. So forget the sun and sit in front of a computer all day with us. Until then...
- Garth Snow kept his No.19 pick and took winger Kieffer Bellows, an NHL legacy and scoring machine: LHH | Video and quotes.
- Snow to Newsday: "We had some options to move down but once we saw Kieffer was going to be there, we jumped at the chance to take him. We had him rated in our top 10." Also includes notes on Frans Nielsen.
- The Post talks the Trottier-Bellows connection.
- The former Sioux Falls Stampede forward sounds pumped to be a New York Islander. [Argus Leader]
- Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts parses through some Draft Day rumors and includes some Islanders notes. Ryan Strome isn't going anywhere.
Day 1 Round Up
- You can catch up with all the results at the SBN Draft Tracker home page.
- After a year of dreaming, the Maple Leafs finally get their man in Auston Matthews. [PPP rejoices]
- The Blue Jackets threw the draft's first curveball, selecting QMJHL forward Pierre-Luc Dubois third overall. The Cannon is not impressed.
- That opened the door for the Oilers to get lucky again and take Jesse Puljujarvi at four, where he wasn't expected to be. [C&B is in a good mood]
- There were a few trades to announce: The Habs sent Lars Eller to the Caps for two seconds, then acquired scrappy Andrew Shaw from Chicago. This is not a progressive move. [EOTP] | The Red Wings shed Pavel Datsyuk's $7 million cap hit, by sending him to Arizona and letting the Coyotes take highly-prized defenseman Jakob Chychrun. [WIIM] | And the Flames got their goalie in the form of St. Louis Brian Elliott. [StL GT says goodbye]
- Also: Tage "Son of Brent" Thompson is now a Blue [CT Post] and Long Island guy Charlie McAvoy will get his NHL shot from the Bruins. [NY Post]
- The Wild will buy out the final year of Thomas Vanek's contract, opening up plenty of room for Kyle Okposo (or anyone else). [Star Trib]
- The Coyotes had a good draft day and also might have a new arena soon. I'm not holding my breath. [Arizona Sports]
- And in their best move yet, the Penguins have finally ditched that dingy "Vegas Gold" nonsense and have gone full time retro with new away jerseys. Very sharp. [Pensburgh]