Tonight is the NHL Award Show from glitzy Las Vegas (7 pm on NBCSN). John Tavares and Matt Martin are there, getting all gussied up and vying for some hardware. I won't bet on whether or not they'll win, but I will be that by the end of the show, Vegas will have its own NHL team, thanks to a final owners meeting.
Oh, also going on at that same meeting:
Transfer of Islanders majority ownership from Wang to Ledecky/Malkin expected to be voted on by NHL owners tomorrow at meeting in Las Vegas.— Jim Baumbach (@jimbaumbach) June 21, 2016
So, yeah. Busy day, as was yesterday.
- You want the Islanders 2016-17 regular season schedule? We got it. Newsday breaks it down, too.
- You want to know next season's salary cap number? We got it.
- You want to know who the mock drafts have the Islanders taking? We got that, too, but it's all over the place.
- Ryan "Elephant Gun" Pulock comes in at No. 3 on our Top 25 under 25 list. I prefer the term "Blunderbuss."
- I understand the idea, but this is an unfortunate headline, NHL.com. Phrasing!
- The Point Blank Podcast talks about prospects with Corey Pronman and about finding help upfront.
- The official site looks at some of the hot shot European prospects at the draft.
- Anthony Beauvillier and Mitchell Vande Sompel join Mathew Barzal at Team Canada's World Junior development camp. [NHL.com]
- Somewhat related to the Islanders: Cablevision/Newsday has a new owner. The Rangers, Knicks. Garden and Radio City do not.
Around the league
- A quick look at some special dates for next season, like outdoor games and the Penguins raising their Cup banner in front of the Capitals. [SBN]
- The Canucks really, really got into schedule release day. [SBN]
- Say au revoir to the now-retired Vincent Lecavalier, a man once referred to as the "Michael Jordan of Hockey." He just saved the Flyers a bunch of money. [BSH]
- Ryan Callahan will miss five months after surgery which means a spot has opened up on Team USA at the World Cup. Why he was in the position is a discussion for another time. [TSN.ca]
- A few days after being traded, Alex Goligoski has decided to stay a Coyote for $5.5 million a season. [FFH]
- The Sabres are going to push hard to sign Steven Stamkos according to somebody. [DBTD]
- The Oilers reportedly want Kevin Shattenkirk but not Jacob Trouba (at the cost of Darnell Nurse) [Edm. Jou]
- PPP takes a long look at the Leafs' goalie for the foreseeable future, Frederik Andersen.
- The whole Keith Yandle blockbuster deal didn't exactly work out for the Rangers. Don't everyone cry at once. [BSB]
- A player's no move can have an affect on the entire free agent and trade landscape. [WIIM]
- Drafting a goalie early isn't really a recipe for success. [TSN.ca]
- Six very real and very forgotten NHL Awards that won't be handed out tonight. [Puck Junk]
- NHLPA director Don Fehr talks about many topics. [TSN.ca]
- Battle of the Buds: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Snoop Dog. Who ya got? [TSN.ca]