Even though they can't clinch, the Islanders have a big afternoon game in Brooklyn today. FIG picks go here. Game time is 1 pm. Don't pick Hamonic.
- Get better soon, Travis. In the meantime, welcome back Marek Zidlicky. [LHH | Newsday | NY Post with the ominous headline]
- The team's Magic Number remains at five. Thanks for nothing, Bruins and Red Wings. [Skinny]
- The players continue to criticize Barclays Center's ice and the NHL is on the case. Dehumidifiers have been put in place for now. [NY Times]
- The Islanders have some late season concerns. You don't say. [E$PN IN$IDER$]
- The college kids joining the Sound Tigers are jumping right into the thick of a playoff push. [CT Post | Other BST notes on the playoff chase]
- Kingston closed out Oshawa was a 6-0 blowout on Friday night. Michael Dal Colle had four assists (!) in the game and 14 points in the series against his ex-team. Jesus. [Durham Region]
- Niagara is also through to the second round after a 5-2 win over Ottawa. Josh Ho-Sang had a goal and two assists and was named first star for the fourth straight home game. [St. Cath. St.]
- Not to be left out, Anthony Beauvillier had two assists in Shawinigan's 4-1 series-clinching win over Sherbroke. [Yahoo.ca | Box score] Full prospect playoff roundup coming soon.
- Quinnipiac teammates Devon Toews and Sam Anas (an Islanders camp invitee, hint, hint) are D1 All Stars. [QU.com]
- Today's ceremonial puck-dropper is a real life hero. [CBS NY]
- Yesterday was April 1, the "this day in history" when Mike Bossy became the first rookie to score 50 goals. [NHL]
- Yesterday was also picture day for these goofy bastards
Class clowns. (Team day) #Isles pic.twitter.com/agUKAsquRl— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) April 1, 2016
Stuff that's way less important
- The tribunal has spoken and Duncan Keith will sit for six games, including Game 1 of the playoffs, for slashing Charlie Coyle's mug. [SCH]
- Hamonic being hurt sucks, but the Ducks put important players David Perron, Rickard Rakell and Frederic Andersen on the shelf all in one shot yesterday. Oof. [Puck Daddy]
- It would be nice if more fans could see some of these super important late-season games. [WIIM]
- Breaking: NHL players don't want to play in Edmonton. [C&B]
- Venerable junior team the Medicine Hat Tigers have been evicted from their arena and need a solution before they become homeless. Oh, and look, our old friends SMG are front and center in the dispute. [Can. Press]
- Watching hockey, including a trip to Cincinnati for a pair of college games, was therapeutic for one Fear the Fin writer.
- Say goodbye to the Minnesota Wild, who yesterday announced their intention to leave for the KHL. [MHH]
- Meanwhile, the Devils spent their April Fool's Day switching their name to the "New Jersey Angels." And they almost fooled some people. [SBN]