The New York Islanders conclude the traveling portion of their big road trip with what may be their last visit to Travis Hamonic's home with the defenseman on the squad. That's all a tale for another day, later this summer, but it's on the media radar even though he's been adamant that he addressed the issue when it leaked back in the fall, full stop.
Leave your FIG picks here.
- Yesterday was the big hour-by-hour rollout of the initial 16 members of each World Cup of Hockey 2016 roster, including several Islanders. [Isles] We celebrate John Tavares for Canada here, Nikolay Kulemin for Russia, plus Jaroslav Halak and Frans Nielsen for Team Eur-pot-pourri.
- Nielsen is excited about the World Cup, Johnny Boychuk has "jiggly" teeth, and Jack Capuano plans to be patient with the struggling forwards. [Newsday]
- After a great first period -- kind of a reverse Islanders -- Bridgeport had a two-goal lead and great shot at two points against Hartford last night, but instead walked away with just one. Included a bizarre icing change in OT where the ref threw the wrong Sound Tiger off. [CT Post | Soundin' Off]
- Dan spoke about the Isles season so far on the CKMagic podcast.
- Silver Seven reflects on what Shane Prince's departure says about Ottawa's player evaluation, and the influence of coach Dave Cameron on decision-making.
- At the deadline, Darren Dreger spoke of Trouba-for-Hamonic speculation and the Jets fretting over Trouba's next contract. [Today's Slapshot]
- The Jets are struggling, they've traded their captain, and the season feels like a funeral. [Winnipeg Sun]
- That means the rest of the way is a learning experience, and an opportunity for the youngsters. [Winnipeg Free Press]
Jaro Halak on Team Europe: "You're facing some great teams, but the pressure is all on them. I think we can only surprise people."— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) March 2, 2016
Beyond the Isle
- Dig all your World Cup of Hockey logos here. (Okay, don't dig all of them.) [SB Nation]
- Here's Sweden's stacked roster and cool unis, by the way. [BSH]
- Here's a ranking of all the jerseys. [SCOC]
- Johan Franzen doesn't like Pierre McGuire mislabeling Patrick Kane "Magic Man" during Kane's assault on the leaderboard. [WIIM]