Islanders-Rangers in Brooklyn, tonight at 7 pm. Sincere condolences to Michael Grabner, who will miss the game due to the passing of his grandmother back in Austria.
- Newsday previews the game with the usual rivalry stuff.
- Garik on the team's blah neutral zone numbers and terrible defensive zone ones. And in the corsi department, the Islanders are looking dire. [Hockey Graphs]
- One of my favorite days of the year: the Islanders go shopping at Toys R Us in Carle Place for kids. This year, Anders Lee gets to drive the Power Wheels while Calvin de Haan checks out some reading material. [Islanders | Gallery | News 12 LI]
- The team also launched its Sticks & Skates youth hockey program with some help from Gillies, Trottier, Nystrom and Goring, who all had good things to say about Jon Ledecky. [NHL.com]
- Josh Bailey is worth a pick-up on your fantasy team. [NHL.com]
- Shannon Hogan on new beginnings and old ties, in response to Frans Nielsen's homecoming.
- Congrats to Kieffer Bellows for being named to Team USA's World Junior preliminary roster. [USA Hockey]
- Mathew Barzal has 17 assists in 11 games since returning to Seattle of the WHL. He had another three assist game - his fourth in the last five outings - on Sunday. [My Northwest | Isles Prospect Report]
- And this week's Bridgeport Report.
- The Habs will be without Alex Galchenyuk for a while, which is bad, bad news for them. [EOTP]
- Bob McKenzie talks to Eyes on the Prize contributor Jack Han about his innovative tactics tweets. [TSN.ca]
- So Connor McDavid took a spill in a game and an NHL concussion spotter kept him out for the remainder of the period, as they are supposed to do. Apparently, this is HIGHLY controversial, and was made worse by McDavid's teammate Patrick Maroon opening his mouth. [Sportsnet | Deadspin on the system working properly | SBN on dumb Maroon]
- The first part of Hockey By Design's breakdown of the Vegas Golden Knights' inaugural identity.
- How often does an 800-plus penalty minute brawl break out? Even less often then it does after the handshakes. [SBN]
- Dunkin Donuts is now the official fried dough of the NHL. Jim Schoenfeld approves. [USA Today]
- Perhaps Anaheim's Jon Gibson should stay away from caffeine and sugar until his in-game diarrhea problem subsides. [The Score]