The New York Islanders are in Winnipeg for New Year's Eve and they're one goalie lighter.
Leave your First Islanders Goal picks here for tonight against the Jets by 7 p.m. EST.
So as you may have heard, the Isles head to Winnipeg without Jaroslav Halak, who was put on waivers:
- That ends(?) a long-running saga and quite the fall in just two-plus seasons. [LHH]
- Evidently Halak didn’t return to the bench nor talk to anyone after getting pulled during the game in Minnesota. [Newsday]
- This is a microcosm of self-inflicted goalie wounds by the Isles. [LHH]
- One thing's for sure, Halak's numbers this year are ugly. [THN] That and the salary has everyone thinking he won't be claimed. [McKenzie/FanRag] [Post] ...which means he'd be in Bridgeport soon. [Soundin' Off]
- In other drama, the story of Joshua Ho-Sang, from hotshot prospect to AHL prospect to AHL hero. To be continued. [LHH]
- The Sound Tigers lost in Hershey after a bad third period. [CT Post | BST]
- Finland didn't make the WJC quarterfinals, so the entire coaching staff is getting sacked. [HEOTP | TSN]
- The U.S. win over Russia on Thursday set up tonight's U.S.-Canada clash for the top of Group B. Bob McKenzie calls them very similar teams. [TSN radio] So they say it will come down to special teams. [TSN audio preview]
- A bit of history developing in this U.S.-Canada clash. [United States of Hockey]
- Neither team was saying who they'd start in goal. [TSN]
- Now just what I say what is going on with that boy Jordan Eberle? Less than you might think, with more detail than you can imagine. [C&B]