The Islanders, winners of three (3) straight, head out on a four-game road trip to the Northwest Territories of the NHL (and also Arizona). Their first stop: Minnesota, for an 8:00 p.m. start against the Wild. They have won 11 straight. 11 is more than 3. Womp womp. FIGs can be deposited here.
The NHL seems to be celebrating expansion, in a way, by having their two most recent expansion teams go on double-digit win streaks. When will the madness end?
But folks, we have news.
- John Tavares has been a welcome addition to the Isles woeful penalty kill, and the Isles have been getting strong, balanced play from their current lines. [Newsday]
- Arthur Staple held an Isles Mailbag this week, answering questions about Josh Ho-Sang and the roster/expansion. [StapeChat]
- Speaking of Ho-Sang, he was healthy scratched again in the previous game, but returned last night and set up the game-winner scored by Travis St. Denis. [Soundin' Off | CT Post]
- Mathew Barzal has been absolutely killing it for Team Canada. Almost like he's good or something. [LHH]
Rest of the League
- Last night's NHL scores.
- Bone-crushing time: the Top 10 Hits of 2016, according to theScore.
- Artemi Panarin, the Blackhawks winger, signed a 2-year extension worth $12 million. Sucks they can't sign him for longer, but cap hell is the price of winning. [SCH]
- The Predators were picked by many (me, included) to, if not win the Central Division, then at least go on a long run in the playoffs - they're in sixth in the division, despite sterling shot differentials and average goaltending (for a change). Frustration sets in.
- Something I ask myself all the time: what if Jaromir Jagr never left the NHL? [Bleacher Report]
- The U.S. beat Slovakia at World Juniors last night. [HEOTP recap]
- And finally: Mike Smith was feeling frisky against the Stars. [Puck Daddy]