Merry Christmas Eve 'n stuff! If you're reading this, you're bored, dodging family, or waiting for the storm to come.
Thank you for joining us and sharing some time with LHH throughout the year. Here's some reading to get you through the holiday weekend. Reading with egg/holiday nog/custard is optional.
- The Islanders finished the pre-Christmas stretch on a high, easily beating the Sabres, 5-1. [LHH | Newsday | Isles | NHL | Die By The Blade | Post]
- Here's Butch and Brendan on the effort, and Tavares in particular. [MSG video]
- Kyle Okposo talked about facing the Islanders last week and visiting their home arena as a visitor yesterday, and the fans gave him a warm welcome. [Newsday | MSG | Islanders Insight]
- In case you needed the reminder, the Isles saved cap money by not signing Okposo...and then promptly burned it. [Bleacher Report]
- Hot takery from the Post on the state of the team. [Post]
- Podcast: Before last night's game, Dan and Noel at HockeyBuzz aired some grievances about the Islanders and talked favorite Seinfeld moments.
- Das Thomas Greiss dishes on German Christmas tradition (which, incidentally, completely mirrors mine). [MSG video]
- Tavares was on the PK again last night. He talked about what that means beforehand. [Newsday]
- Ralph Macchio, the "Karate Kid" and lifelong Isles fan who had his own Bobblehead Night last night, also got the "arena cam" treatment from NHL Tonight. [NHL video]
- A WJC Q&A with Mitchell Stephens and top Isles prospect Mathew Barzal. [Sportsnet]
- Speaking of Barzal, a ranking of all 30 teams' "core four under 24" does not flatter the Isles. [TSN]
Beyond Buffalo and Brooklyn
- This feels topical and relevant to Isles fans, whose team shares the Eastern basement with Buffalo and the Red Wings: The Fan Guide to Watching Your Team Go Bad. [Winging it in Motown]
- But it could be worse! Bob McKenzie muses on how bad the Avalanche are. [Fanragsports]
- Also! The Rags were destroyed at home and gave up seven goals for the second straight game. [Blueshirt Banter]
- So, Steve Downie rips the Coyotes and blames his on-ice d-baggery on Don Cherry videos. [Yahoo]
- NOT HOCKEY BUT: If you are at all into soccer or its history, this is a neat look back at the connections and influence of former world powerhouse Ajax on current powerhouse Barcelona. [These Football Times]