The Islanders are in Boston to face the Bruins tonight and it’s on MSG+2 (twice the plus!) ‘cause that’s probably where it belongs.
Leave your FIG picks here.
- The Islanders special teams have kind of stunk. [Newsday]
Jean-Francois Berube bided his time and then got to play some goal behind this mess. [Hogan at MSG]
- There is nothing new here, but when Bob McKenzie speaks people listen, so: Nothing new on John Tavares spculation, other than more reassurance that he's said all the right things, hasn't betrayed disappointment, and you figure the owners know they need to impress him. [FanRagSports]
- Brother of Strome, Mathew Barzal and Son of (a, but not the) Chabot are the Team Canada captains for the World Juniors. [Hockey Canada]
- Friday is Ralph Macchio Bobblehead Night. (Yes, that’s what we have left to live for during this lost season.) Might as well read the Karate Kid Q&A if you haven’t. He says his "whole childhood was spent at Nassau Coliseum" but I personally saw three movies of evidence that disproves that; he was in California and Japan ‘n stuff. [Isles]
- Macchio is excited about the honor, by the way. [Newsday]
- If you didn't see these fanposts over the weekend, good reads: On the offense and goaltending (good) but bad defense and PK, and on ways to rescue the rebuild (i.e. clean house off the ice). Thanks to all who do FanPosts! They make for good discussion.
- Stanley Cup of Chowder likes Calvin de Haan (correct) and thinks he could be acquired easily (incorrect, expansion draft arguments be damned they won’t give him away) because the Islanders need offense (sort of but not really). [SCOC]
- A look at the Metro, which has five really hot teams plus the Islanders. [All About the Not-Lous]
Beyond Brooklyn vs. Boston
- Cool story, bro. No really, cool story! Pat Cannone will get his NHL debut tonight at age 30. [NBC | Star-Tribune]
- Rick Nash: groined again. [Blueshirt Banter]
- Whether or not they are forced to protect David "cap mule" Clarkson kind of affects the Blue Jackets' expansion draft plans. [ESPN]
- The U.S. president-elect is nominating Panthers owner Vincent Viola for Secretary of the Army. [LBC]
- Before that news, Burnside did his Burnside thing about Florida's "gong show." [ESPN]
- And then over here you got the team chairman denying rumors that the team is for sale. Canadian media seems to have it out for the Cats. [Sportsnet]
- They're just like us! The Wings and Hurricanes were postponed due to ice compressor issues in Raleigh. [Canes Country]
- IS THIS YOUR HOMEWORK LARRY? BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GOLF ON ICE. [SB Nation Lookit]