Look, I know no one really wants to read this kind of fluffery right now, what with the team’s season circling the toilet and all.
But the hard-working folks at NHL Network went to all the trouble of ranking jerseys (or sweaters, for some) throughout the league’s history and the Islanders came in pretty high. Eighth, to be exact. That’s ahead of half of the “Original Six” and more than a few all-time greats.
They even made a nice video and everything. It’s right there at the top of the page. It’s sure to make you swell up with blue and orange pride and remember a time when you didn’t have to explain to anyone - in detail so great you hope they forget why they asked in the first place and then never ask you again - why you’re an Islanders fan.
And here’s the full list. Tabarnac! Nordiques ahead of Les Habitants? Are we sure this list isn’t some stealth focus group for a potential Quebec City expansion team?
NHL Network’s Top 30 Sweaters of All-Time, 1-30:
- Quebec Nordiques – 1991-1995
- Minnesota North Stars – 1981-1988
- Montreal Canadiens – 1984-1997
- Hartford Whalers – 1985-1989
- San Jose Sharks – 1991-1997
- Chicago Blackhawks – 1973-1977
- New York Rangers – 1970-1976
- New York Islanders – 1978-1984
- Edmonton Oilers – 1981-1994
- Los Angeles Kings – 1988-1991
- Pittsburgh Penguins – 1988-1992
- Boston Bruins – 1981-1995
- Detroit Red Wings – 1961-1972
- Toronto Maple Leafs – 1963-1967
- Kansas City Scouts – 1974-1975
- New Jersey Devils – 1992-2007
- Philadelphia Flyers – 1984-1997
- Buffalo Sabres – 1970-1977
- Los Angeles Kings – 1967-1977
- Mighty Ducks of Anaheim – 1993-1996
- California Golden Seals – 1974-1976
- Vancouver Canucks – 1992-1995
- Colorado Rockies – 1976-1977
- Phoenix Coyotes – 1996-1998
- Chicago Blackhawks (Alternate) – 1996-1999
- Dallas Stars – 1993-1994
- Winnipeg Jets – 1980-1990
- Calgary Flames – 1981-1994
- Montreal Canadiens – 1941-1944
- Montreal Maroons – 1925-1929
It’s also great that the North Stars and Whalers, two teams that couldn’t win their division most years, have the second and fourth best jerseys of all time, apparently. And be sure to stop by the NHL Powered By Reebok Store today to pick up your officially licensed Whalers and North Stars gear in time for Christmas.
So, yeah, the current team might be not so great and their outlook might be murky and their confidence level might generally waver between non-existent and please-get-me-out-of-here most nights, but it’s still fun to remember when they both looked and played pretty well.