Good morning, everyone. Garth Snow is supposedly working the phones trying to acquire a forward, Jack Capuano's not going anywhere, and I'm not wearing any underwear. Just thought we were mentioning things that are scary, folks.
Lots to get to today. Remember: work comes second, LHH first.
- VIDEO: Travis Hamonic and Capuano talk about moving forward after the team's early season struggles. BONUS: if you're lucky, it will autoplay a clip of one of Cappy's postgame press conference from the 2013 playoffs. [Newsday]
- In an interview with Frank Seravalli of TSN, Snow publicly gives Capuano his "vote of confidence," which can be good or bad. Here's hoping it's his kiss of death. [TSN | Newsday with player reactions | LHH - Dan and Les break it down]
- Canadian National Treasure Bob McKenzie reports that the Isles are not looking to make a coaching change, at this time. Folks.
- LHHer JT's Dynasty reminds us why we've both loved and hated Capuano over the years, and affirms that we need a new voice in that locker room.
- In his always-essential 30 Thoughts, Elliotte Friedman discusses both the Isles desire to add a forward, and how the team has cooled on trading Jaroslav Halak. You should always read the whole thing, though. One of the few truly, consistently great columns in hockey. Friedman also went on the radio (article transcribing conversation here) and mentioned the desire to grab a forward, mentioning both Matt Duchene and Brandon Saad (on Twitter, Arthur Staple says both are unlikely at this time, however).
- As stated earlier, the Islanders aren't looking to fire their coach, but shake things up on offense with a big trade. [Puck Daddy]
- Rare when Deadspin and Islanders are mentioned in the same breath, but Deadspin did some investigation and got a "no comment" when calling the team regarding Snow and Capuano's living arrangement. How an old rumor got dug up like this, I have no idea, but it seems like there might be some merit to it, maybe?
- The Roenick Life Podcast with Jeremy Roenick and Billy Jaffe, among their discussions, try to diagnose the Islanders' issues. Again I'm right in my analysis!
- Craig Custance says that while we're struggling, we have the pieces to contend. [E$PN Insider]
- Some Sound Tigers news: Jesse Graham and Eamon McAdam were called up to Bridgeport from the Missouri Mavericks of the ECHL, and Stephon Williams rattles off two wins in a row after starting the season 0-4. Also, Josh Holmstrom was added just after the season began. He is the brother of Sound Tigers captain Ben Holmstrom, and they're enjoying the reunion this season. [The Magnificent Michael Fornabaio]
- And now, for a bright spot! You know all the adorable pictures you've seen over the last month, with your favorite Islanders holding puppies? Well, the organization teamed up with the Animal League to produce calendars depicting the Islanders and their puppies, and they will be available on November 25. And now I'm a big blubbering mess.
Tales of Another Broken Bone (News from Everywhere Else)
- Last night's NHL scores. Only two games last night: the Capitals walloped the Penguins 7-1, while the Flames topped the Coyotes 2-1. The last game was a bit more interesting to Isles fans, however.
- Speaking of the Penguins-Capitals game, the two teams exchanged Twitter barbs beforehand, and while the Capitals certainly won the game on the ice, they almost certainly took the "L" online. [SBN Mothership]
- It was a rough day for elite talent in the NHL. Taylor Hall (*sobs) suffered a knee injury that required arthroscopic surgery and he will be down 3-4 weeks. Steven Stamkos will be out indefinitely with a torn lateral meniscus. And Johnny Gaudreau's broken finger will require surgery. [respectively, All About the Jersey | Raw Charge | Matchsticks and Gasoline]
- It was also a rough day for Darren Helm, who will be out at least 6 weeks with a shoulder injury. Bet ol' Kenny Holland wishes he could take that massive contract back (actually, he probably doesn't). [Detroit Free Press]
- The Copper & Blue, SB Nation's renowned Oilers blog, is looking for a new site manager. If you know any Oilers friends that would like this opportunity, or would like the opportunity yourself, jump on it. [C&B]
- Alex Ovechkin goes all medieval on your ass. [NHL.com]
Holy shit there's a lot to read today, folks. Hope you enjoy!